Architectural Vizualisation H12 Apprentice - Mantra PBR

wurmdrin1111

Hi Skybar,

nice you came from Vray to Mantra and Houdini.....well first I tell you that Mantra is still a Mystery for me too. Everybody claims Mantra is so powerful , but nobody shows why and how.

For me the standard Mantra PBR Render Engine actually does everything that I need, but I am still looking to find out what is the true secret and benefit of Mantra.

According to Vray, yes its fast, but it looks to smooth instead of deep. Mantra looks deep, light interpretation, colors..... but you need to have an idea how to get out of it.

For architctural Visualisation you need good textures....from CG textures.com ....the Environment Light of Houdini, plug in the texture slot your HDRI file.... then you will need a direct light source.... set up directional light, use as type "SUN"

the textures I saved with the image viewer of Houdinin with Gamma of 0,45 , its coused I havnt looked up into the mantra surface shader network yet. Should wondering me if you can not even there set up Gamma correction for your input textures. I used the image viewer to save the textures with 0,45 gamma

Render Settings:

important is: in the Mantra ROP under properities , choose Physicall Based Rendering

Samples 15 x 15

Noise Level: 0,01

Enable Depth of Field....you can set it up easily with the Focus Handle or in your properities of the camera

under properities > shading (in the Mantra ROP Node) select Diffuse Limit like 10 or more

thats it !!

and you should play arround with the Reflection settings of the Mantra Surface Shader

I feel there are much more possibilities, even though I havnt used Passes or EXR Output yet. But according to set up Houdini and the scene, that was my way to go.....

if you have a work be done, its welcome here :-)

Sorry for my English

• 1 month later...

those samples are pixel samples? if so, they are too high. Use 4x4 and change the ray samples.

for arch viz, I don´t think houdini is the best choice, because, as far as I know, for arch viz, u need fast, out-of-the-box solution. You wont need complicated materials most of the time.

I don´t work with arch viz anymore because it takes too much time to do that with houdini.

But mantra is powerful indeed. When u need complicated shaders, u wont rely on vray...