Linux recommended DE (desktop environment) ?

fsimerey

Hi, which is the best DE to use with Houdini ?

Actually, i am on Manjaro Linux and Xfce 4.10 and it is a great distro, but i have a lot of issues:

- tooltips in shader are black or text is pushed too high in the tooltip window

- sometimes geometry disappear in viewport with openGL 3.2

- sometimes geometry stay in viewport when i toggle off the display of objects

- sometimes points numbers do not display

Before Manjaro i was with Linux Mint LMDE Xfce and before with Mate.

Tested Cinnamon at the start of project but multi-screen didn't work. I not tested the last 1.8, seems to be solved.

So, what is for you the best DE for Linux, and distribution are you using ?

Thanks for replies.

Francois.

Guest mantragora

My vote is for OpenSuse.

EDIT: On the other hand, most of the things you mention may be not the fault of your distro but just the problem with Houdini 12.X viewport. There are topics about it. Windows works for me the best.

Edited by mantragora

Thanks for the link and like the second post by DaJuice, is exactly my feelings:

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:58 AM

Alright I'm glad to see this thread because I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one that was having serious viewport issues. I don't have access to my computer right now but I'll make a detailed report when I get back in a few days. In short' date=' my experience with ogl in houdini:

H11: good

H12: not so good

H12.5: pretty bad

Linux 64-bit, consumer nvidia card, driver 304.something if I remember correctly.[/quote']

:(

• 3 weeks later...

How are you finding Manjaro? I've been curious about that.

I'm running Linux Mint 15 at home, and things seem fine under MATE (although I only have one monitor). Under Cinnamon, there seems to be some strange behavior regarding interactivity with the viewport. Gonna compile DWM, I suspect it'll be as good as it can be on that.

Graphics card is a GTX 480 (nvidia 310.44-0ubuntu2 drivers).

Edited by Zach

• 3 weeks later...

I used to use cinnamon after gnome disaster on ubuntu, looked great but crashed too often for my liking so I switched to i3 and will never go back to silly floating windows ever again. Needs a bit of reading through docs before you can use it effectively but it is totally worth it. Also 12.5 viewport seems to be less of an issue.

How are you finding Manjaro? I've been curious about that.

I'm running Linux Mint 15 at home, and things seem fine under MATE (although I only have one monitor). Under Cinnamon, there seems to be some strange behavior regarding interactivity with the viewport. Gonna compile DWM, I suspect it'll be as good as it can be on that.

Graphics card is a GTX 480 (nvidia 310.44-0ubuntu2 drivers).

After used Ubuntu 10, Mint 11, Mint 12, LMDE Mate, LMDE Xfce, LMDE Unofficial Xfce and after Mint Team choose to discard Xfce on LMDE i choose to try Manjaro.

Manjaro is great and I use it every days in production since 0.8.2.

This week, i changed my GTX 580 to a GTX 780 and 3 monitors (24").

Just working perfect under Xfce.

Manjaro is a real rolling distro (not like LMDE), so you have the latest nvidia drivers and kernel.

I use Arch with Gnome 3 and also Openbox. I have no issues with the viewport after I changed my nvidia drivers to older versions, but I have now updated to the latest ones in the Arch repository and all is well.

I think it is all down to personal preference which DE/WM to use. On boot Gnome uses around 700Mb where as Openbox only uses about 200Mb. So if you want to save on resources I would say choose a Window manager like Openbox.

Thanks guys - Manjuro seems worth checking out. I'd love to do the Arch thing, if only I had the balls (or the time) for it :) But rolling distros seem very attractive to me.

A studio I know has recently switched to Scientific Linux, and I believe they are having difficulty with getting their Houdini pipeline up and running. I'm sorry I can't be any more specific than that. I don't know if that means their in-house tools aren't working (likely) or that Houdini is having trouble with the distro (also possible), but I hope to be working with Houdini on SL6 soon, so I can get back to you.

As for window managers - again, cannot recommend highly enough DWM, although it's not for everyone. It's super minimalist - it's like, a few hundred lines of C that you configure and build yourself - and the memory footprint is insanely low (5 - 20MB, give or take). Startup time is instant, it's quite configurable, and it has everything I need in a desktop environment (which is very little - the ability to launch files, with dmenu, the ability to switch applications, and the ability to manage the billions of windows I inevitably open without getting lost). It's a dream to VNC into. It's fast as hell. It's perfect for single monitor setups, although having multiple monitors won't hurt. You navigate entirely through adjustable key commands. It stacks windows all purty-like.

On the down-side, it scares off other people when they try to use your computer (especially if you have a wacom tablet going on)... but maybe that's a plus for you too.

Sorry to sound like an evangelist here; DWM is just my favorite way of operating a computer, which is something I have to do a lot these days.

A studio I know has recently switched to Scientific Linux, and I believe they are having difficulty with getting their Houdini pipeline up and running. I'm sorry I can't be any more specific than that. I don't know if that means their in-house tools aren't working (likely) or that Houdini is having trouble with the distro (also possible), but I hope to be working with Houdini on SL6 soon, so I can get back to you.

Must be their own tools. SL6 is basiclly recompiled Redhat in the same way as Centos and Houdini runs perfect there.

Edited by Erik_JE

DWM is really not for the faint of heart, I should have prefaced my recommendation with that - but if you're using Arch, I think you'll be okay. Any time you want to alter the configuration, you have to recompile it; and it's kind of a pain in the ass to get everything just the way you want it - but once you do, you're golden.

It might be better to try Awesome-WM first / instead. Very similar functionality with some useful things enabled by default (eg, the default in DWM relies on the "alt" key for the majority of its navigation commands - which really interferes with many of the applications we know and love - so I always remap it to the super / mod4 key (the "windows" or "apple" button). In Awesome, that's enabled by default. Comes with more layout options, permits mouse navigation by default, has a little system tray / dbus support, is otherwise very similar to DWM in terms of key commands and operation... and still super, super lightweight. Not quite as light as DWM, but nothing is.

It'll take a few hours to get used to, but tiling managers are the way to go - especially, keeping in mind, that you don't always have to use 'em in tiling mode. One thing that Awesome does differently from DWM, if my memory serves me, is it preserves the layout type per-tag, so if you super+1 into one workspace, you have all your lovely tiles in a golden-ratio pattern or something, and if you super+2 into another workspace, you have Houdini full-screen, etc.

Anyway - go for Awesome if you're apprehensive about tiling WMs - it's a lot more friendly out-of-the-box, and the overhead is still negligible.

By the way, I wanted to ask you rolling OS types, has that ever affected your ability to run an application? I know Houdini, Nuke, etc all ship with the libraries they're linked against, but I imagine stuff must go wrong if your graphics driver suddenly changes...?

Edited by Zach

CentOS is solid for vfx work. Houdini, maya, & nuke all run great for me. I use cinnamon also, and prefer that for just basic computing stuff, they also all seem to run fine for me in cinnamon too. But things are snappy in CentOS, imo of course ;)

aren't most linux pipeline's built with centos?

Edited by substep

Yeh I have had issues time to time where I have had to roll back graphic drivers and things just to get certain programs working correctly again.

It is best to make sure you have a backup (preferably a bootable back up) of your full system just encase something happens during/after an upgrade. To be honest I have had very little issues and the only major issues I have had are my own fault for not checking with documentation/latest news if there are major updates.

One of the great things about Arch is the Arch User Repository (AUR). If you cant find a package you require you can usually find it in the AUR, or even create you own PKGBUILD for it. Along with the great documentation and extremely helpful forum, I think this is probably the best rolling release distro. Though I might be slightly biased as I have not tried any others ;)

• 11 months later...

I got some problems with Houdini and titling window managers (i.e. Awesome WM). It crashes when I try the TAB menu. It doesn't happen in stacking window managers (openbox, xfwm, etc.).

I use Arch Linux, kernel 3.14.6.-1, and Houdini 13.0.260. The nvidia driver version is 337.25-1.

The exit message in the terminal is the following:

18701: Fatal error: Floating point exception (sent by pid 1361112370)

The crash report is the following:

Crash report from neurignacio; Houdini FX Version 13.0.260 [linux-x86_64-gcc4.4]
Traceback from Sat Jun 21 09:41:40 2014
Caught signal 8

AP_Interface::coreDumpChaser(UTsignalHandlerArg) <libHoudiniUI.so>
AP_Interface::si_CrashHandler::chaser(UTsignalHandlerArg) <libHoudiniUI.so>
signalCallback(UTsignalHandlerArg) <libHoudiniUT.so>
UT_Signal::UT_ComboSignalHandler::operator()(int, siginfo*, void*) const <libHoudiniUT.so>
UT_Signal::processSignal(int, siginfo*, void*) <libHoudiniUT.so>
_L_unlock_11 <libpthread.so.0>
UI_Menu::getBestColumnSize() <libHoudiniUI.so>
UI_Menu::optimizeMenuRowCol() <libHoudiniUI.so>
opuiBuildMenuContents(UI_Menu*, OPUI_TabMenuBranchNode const*, UI_Value&) <libHoudiniAPPS2.so>
opuiBuildMenuContents(UI_Menu*, OPUI_TabMenuBranchNode const*, UI_Value&) <libHoudiniAPPS2.so>
OPUI_TabMenuApp::addContentsMenuItems() <libHoudiniAPPS2.so>
OPUI_TabMenuApp::updateMenuContents() <libHoudiniAPPS2.so>
BM_Viewport::startTabMenu(UI_Event*, OPUI_TabMenuApp*) <libHoudiniAPPS2.so>
BM_SceneManager::startTabMenu(UI_Event*, OPUI_TabMenuApp*) <libHoudiniAPPS2.so>
BM_OpView::handleKeyEvent(UI_Event*) <libHoudiniAPPS2.so>
JEDI_View::handleKeyEvent(UI_Event*) <libHoudiniAPPS3.so>
FUSE_Viewer::handleKeyboardEvent(UI_Event*) <libHoudiniAPPS3.so>
UI_Queue::processNextEvent() <libHoudiniUI.so>
UI_Queue::drain() <libHoudiniUI.so>
UI_Queue::eventLoop() <libHoudiniUI.so>
main_part2(int, char const* const*) <libHoudiniUI.so>
main <libHoudiniUI.so>
__libc_start_main <libc.so.6>
[0x1f97] <houdinifx-bin>

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I got some problems with Houdini and titling window managers (i.e. Awesome WM). It crashes when I try the TAB menu. It doesn't happen in stacking window managers (openbox, xfwm, etc.).

I use Arch Linux, kernel 3.14.6.-1, and Houdini 13.0.260. The nvidia driver version is 337.25-1.

The exit message in the terminal is the following:

18701: Fatal error: Floating point exception (sent by pid 1361112370)

I have the same problem on Gentoo with both Awesome and i3.

• 1 month later...

I usually run Fluxbox window manager with 3D applications like Houdini under Slackware. I have tested Enlightenment E17 as well, but H13 crashes instantly when you hit the TAB-key. Xfce seems to work well also but one need to remap the Alt-key.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I have similar problem and I am hopeless...

After few minutes in Houdini, Houdini crashes, here is Crash log:

Crash report from user; Houdini FX Version 13.0.447 [linux-x86_64-gcc4.6]
Traceback from Wed Sep 17 12:46:12 2014
Caught signal 11

AP_Interface::coreDumpChaser(UTsignalHandlerArg) <libHoudiniUI.so>
AP_Interface::si_CrashHandler::chaser(UTsignalHandlerArg) <libHoudiniUI.so>
signalCallback(UTsignalHandlerArg) <libHoudiniUT.so>
UT_Signal::UT_ComboSignalHandler::operator()(int, siginfo*, void*) const <libHoudiniUT.so>
UT_Signal::processSignal(int, siginfo*, void*) <libHoudiniUT.so>
killpg <libc.so.6>
sem_wait <libpthread.so.0>
glXSwapBuffers <libGL.so.1>
RE_XServer::GLSwapBuffers(RE_Window*) <libHoudiniUI.so>
UI_Window::clearWindow(UT_Color const&) <libHoudiniUI.so>
UI_Window::doRedraw() <libHoudiniUI.so>
UI_Queue::doWindowRedraws() <libHoudiniUI.so>
UI_Queue::drain() <libHoudiniUI.so>
UI_Queue::eventLoop() <libHoudiniUI.so>
main <libHoudiniUI.so>
__libc_start_main <libc.so.6>
[0x1bd7] <houdinifx-bin>

I am running lubuntu 14.0.1 and I had to install newest kernel from .deb, because otherwise I was unable to run applications with gpu (I have optimus in notebook).

I have tried various desktop enviroments, it crashes in LXDE, OpenBox, l3wm, E17... I'm gonna try i3.

Do you have any clues how to fix it? It's hard to work, when H crashes every 10 minutes.

Interesing is, that previously I had Fedora installed with Mate DE and there it did not crash so often (but crashed when I closed any window - help browser, animation editor...)