Where to get shaders

LDSXena

I'm a noob to Houdini and I am trying to find some more shaders than what already comes with Houdini in the shaders pallette.

I know that I can build my own shaders but I haven't even learned particles yet so I just want some shortcuts right now.

Specifically, I'm looking for a tarnished silver shader. A tutorial that walks through how to create a tarnished silver shader is OK too as long as it holds the reader's hand through the whole process.

Thanks for all the help!

LDSXena

Hi there,

Unfortunately, you're kinda on your own here. However, to create the shader you're looking for, you can use the "VEX Layered Surface" or "VEX Super Material" shaders.

You can create textures for the "tarnished" surface & use one of them with a Displacement shader to create pits or scratches.

I would also suggest searching online for texturing tutorials (it doesn't matter for which software) to have more ideas on how to create what you want.

That's the fun of shading & rendering. Mixing & matching to create the image you want.

Cheers!

steven