Pyro FX Explosion & RBD questions/advice

gpapaioa

Hello everyone,

First of all a big thank you to all the people that have uploaded Pyro solver and shading tips. I am currently learning/exploring Pyro and have some questions.

- I want to make an object explode. So I am trying to find the proper way to source the pyro solver. I am thinking first of all to do the RBD sim, fracture the object, put the appropriate forces etc. Then there are two options: Should I use the RBD sim to source the pyro or make another geometry like a sphere and try to simulate the energy that caused the explosion? One thing that comes to my mind is to use the velocity values of the fractured objects that fly away.

- I cant find any comprehensive guide on proper volume render AOVs for compositing (RGB light setup etc.)

Any info on both subjects is highly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

George

p.s. to make myself more clear I made a quick setup for fun: just did a pyro sim with a sphere source and on top I copied the sphere and fractured it. :)

post-8891-0-01538700-1372817530_thumb.pn

http://www.frameworks.gr/explosivo.mp4

If you use the sim it may be easier to get the two to fit together better, but if you can get a cool result from just using a sphere and a custom velocity field then I say go for it. I don't think there is a "right" way as such.

Your quick setup looks cool, you could emit particles from the objects flying away and use these as a source in the pyro sim as well to get some nice flaming trails to go in there.

For the AOV's have you seen this (It's a little old, but could be a good starting point):

http://vimeo.com/6017969

Cheers,

Tony

Hi Georgios!

I totally agree with tony. If you can create the pyro-Sim from a simple geometry and it looks cool and right then go for it. Otherwise you can create the explosion from lets say a sphere and then create collisions for the pyro simulation in order to control it. If you want to create nice trails of fire after the flying pieces I recommend you to paint the fuel attribute on the pieces you want to create fire/smoke trail. Depending on the scale of your simulation you may or may not need to cluster the fluid boxes after an curve or by hand for the flying pieces if you want to have a nice trail after them, Here are two examples:

tank explosion breakdown starts from 30 second of this video

Here is a very nice car Explosion made by a user in this forum named Ali Kapadia

The explosion of the tank was made with a sphere and a collision geometry which represent the geometry of the tank to get the explosion shaping according to the holes. In both videos the second fire simulation (burning on the geometry and trail) were made by painting fuel attributes to the pieces. It works well and is very controllabe. For the tank explosion there were no need for clustering the fluid boxes after the pieces since they didn't flew very far. For the car explosion the pieces flew pretty far and the clustering was needed for optimization.

Good luck!

I am sorry I can't contribute with any AOV-tips tho

/H