Facet SOP vs. Smoothing groups

fragmentzero

Hello,

I have a setup to create geometry in Houdini and export it to 3ds Max via FBX.

The issue I am having is with getting correct smoothing groups in 3ds Max.

I am using Facet SOP with Cusp Angle (=20), which doesn't give me hard edges on a cube but also seem to create unfused points in Houdini, hence unwelded vertices in max.

If I use a Fuse, right after Facet (cusp Polygons & post compute normals), it resets with hard edge look upon consolidation of points.

Ideally, using a Cube, I am aiming to have hard edge smoothing straight out of Houdini to Max transfer. Only 8 vertices in max & 3 smoothing groups used.

No matter what options I used, its always 1 smoothing group utilized upon Max import.

Any help please?

Thanks

Thanks Kim.

Vertex SOP worked better than Facet as it kept same amount of points (8 for a cube) and cusped normals.

However, that didn't help in 3ds Max. The difference though is that without any SOP to cusp normals I get 1 smoothing group for all faces, hence gouraud shading look. But with Vertex SOP cusping normals I am getting no smoothing groups at all and still the gouraud look.

Thanks Daniel.

But I couldn't find a free plugin to import alembic in 3ds max. There is one by exocortex but not free.

However, in the FBX transfer, vertex color & alpha transfer just fine except normals.

I guess, the issue could be with the way 3ds Max interprets vert normals in smoothing groups.

Thanks Daniel.

But I couldn't find a free plugin to import alembic in 3ds max. There is one by exocortex but not free.

However, in the FBX transfer, vertex color & alpha transfer just fine except normals.

I guess, the issue could be with the way 3ds Max interprets vert normals in smoothing groups.

I haven't tried it but this one is free: http://www.dfx.co.jp/dftalk/?p=5916