H12.5 viewport displays geometry that it's NOT SUPPOSED TO!

This has been driving me crazy all day!!! There's no other SOP with display flag on besides the one I'm working on right now and yet I can see geometry from at least one other geo container outside the current. It happens in either h11 and gl3.2 modes and the only way I've found to temporarily fix this is by closing my houdini session and starting a new one. Is anybody else having the same issue? Is there a better workaround than mine?

I'm using 12.5.428, on centOS 6.2, Nvidia diver version 295.20.

Cheers

I'm also having this issue. The build 469 still have the problem, but less often.

Please report it to Sidefx. If there's more people complaining, they will fix it faster.

It's really simple- It will be fixed faster if a reproducible bug can be sent in. i.e. point displays was incorrectly mapped to particles point size for GL 2 viewports, it was reported, reproduced and fixed in the next daily build

Edit: it doesn't require lots of people to complain for bugs to be fixed. I think there was one bug report for that point size issue...

Edited by tar

Guest mantragora

It's really simple- It will be fixed faster if a reproducible bug can be sent in. i.e. point displays was incorrectly mapped to particles point size for GL 2 viewports, it was reported, reproduced and fixed in the next daily build

Edit: it doesn't require lots of people to complain for bugs to be fixed. I think there was one bug report for that point size issue...

Marty, geometry ghosting is a bug that first showed the moment the H12 came to life and it's still there after 2 Houdini releases. And it has been reported many times. There is something fundamentally wrong with the viewport.

Edited by mantragora

Marty, geometry ghosting is a bug that first showed the moment the H12 came o live and it's still there after many months. And it has been reported many times. There is something fundamentally wrong with the viewport.

I guess I don't agree - it's simply code that doesn't do as expected. Unless you're suggesting SideEffects don't employ first rate programmers?

Guest mantragora

I guess I don't agree - it's simply code that doesn't do as expected. Unless you're suggesting SideEffects don't employ first rate programmers?

It doesn't do as expected for two Houdini releases. It has a flaw.

Even best programmers make mistakes.

It doesn't do as expected for two Houdini releases. It has a flaw.

Even best programmers make mistakes.

I'm sure if we can make reproducible steps that show this 'fundamental' flaw, it will be fixed before or with Houdini 13.

If someone can post a file or exact steps that show this flaw, please do and I'll report it. I'm having amazing success in getting bugs fixed.

EDIT: AFAIK the H11 viewport is no longer being developed/features add/bugs fixed it's really best to get this GL viewport up to standard and report these bugs.

EDIT 2: Just spent 30min trying to recreate the bug, couldn't, and I've seen this bug before. If I can't reproduce the steps I can't report it.

thanks

Edited by tar

I have had this issue for months. Mainly with displaying fur/guide hairs. But also random unwanted display of geometry. I have been back and forth talking with SideFx trying to resolve it but to no avail. It seems to come and go with no discernible pattern. I have tried multiple graphics cards (including top end quadro) updating drivers, OS update, every possible opengGl setting in the preferences, and it keeps coming back. Also running Centos.

I agree that it needs to be isolated and reported as a reproducible bug, but after months of dealing with this I have found no way to recreate it. Just a system reboot seems to fix it (temporarily!).

Had this happen a lot pre-469 on Win7, but haven't noticed it since - which doesn't mean anything, just that it's less common for me. One thing that might be important is I've rebooted my machine daily since 469...it hadn't had a reboot for about a month before then.

Crate of beer to the first person who can make it reproducable I guess.

I'm having this issue with an AMD cpu and gpu using win7. So it's not just nvidia...

I usually just click around displaying different things inside different nodes to make it go away. This is the only noticeable viewport issue I have, which is quite surprising considering how bad my gpu is.

Edited by JonathanGranskg

How many monitors are people using? I just plugged in a 2nd monitor and started getting some display problems like geo not showing. Need to test it more though