Buggy Alembic, how to bake camera?

kleer001

I keep getting weird read errors from this alembic file (I got it to mostly work and I'm talking to support, so don't worry). I'm old and crotchety and suspicious and superstitious, and this reminds me of several instances of being in a pipeline and converting published geometry to native geo in Maya to get it to work.... anyhow...

How can I take an animated Camera from an imported Alembic file and bake it out to a Houdini native camera? Baking out the geometry is easy enough, but if I bake out the geo from the camera I only get the nice two-reel icon of the camera, not the actual camera object.

I'm sure Alembic works just fine for most of all y'all, touch wood, but if anyone has a clue I can borrow I'd appreciate it as I'm fresh out.

I'm attaching the abc file I'm working with as a zip because the attacher here doesn't like .abc files, fwiw.

track_03.zip

Thank you John. Maybe I used your file wrong. Can you upload a hip with the successful conversion and baking in it? (see my original post for the compressed abc file) Because when I looked there was no explicit translation and rotation in the alembic camera for the CHOPs to use, it was all referenced. :(

Haha, you're a laugh riot John. Thanks for giving me a giggle. But seriously, keep your day job. (locking an OP is not baking and the cameras don't even match) Jokes on me though, there's no easy way to get the location information from Alembic.

I've got an RFE with Sidefx, so maybe there will be a real solution sometime soon. I'll post here when it come. In the meantime I found I got far less errors and crashes when I put the .abc file on my local disk instead of on the network.

Edited by kleer001

Haha, you're a laugh riot John. Thanks for giving me a giggle. But seriously, keep your day job. (locking an OP is not baking and the cameras don't even match) Jokes on me though, there's no easy way to get the location information from Alembic.

I've got an RFE with Sidefx, so maybe there will be a real solution sometime soon. I'll post here when it come. In the meantime I found I got far less errors and crashes when I put the .abc file on my local disk instead of on the network.

Well that's kind of rude.

The locked CHOP contains the cameras animation channels for the time range (1-240).

Maybe the workflow is described better here: http://www.toadstorm.com/blog/?p=267

Well that's kind of rude.

Holy smokes, my bad, sorry. Please please forgive me. I kinda stressed myself out today at trying to light in a lut (dummy) and totally forgot that the full range of a CHOP animation is saved in a locked node. Whoa, too much time there in SOPs land.

Still though the camera you got and the imported one don't like up for me. Doesn't matter though.

Gah, I'm such a bore and an idiot sometimes.

Fwiw, the abc file imports into Nuke flawlessly. If you import the camera seperateraly into Houdini it's spun around in the wrong direction.

Yea, I used to get that too. Then for no reason I could discern it started working correctly.

I love Alembic, but it's still in the early stages and kinda buggy. Workable, but not perfect.

• 2 months later...