SamXY

get rid of mushroom effect in explosion and add details in the opening

Hi,everyone!

I'm working on a ground explosion test and come across a few problems: the first few frames is important to me, I want to emphasize the expanding effect, so besides adding divergence, I also set keys on the fuel sourcing geometry‘s scale, but that seems to blur out the fire into a hot mess. How can I get more details in the expanding fire?

Also, I add some custom vel into the sim, making it blow up in scattered directions, the side effect is: instead of forming a big mushroom cloud, it generate small mushroom caps as shown in the following preview. I have also tried using particle system to drive the sim, it also easily end up with these mushroom caps... How can I get rid of that?

These problems are driving me crazy, if you have any advice, please help me, thank you very much!!!

preview2.mov

Edited by SamXY
  • Like 2

Have you tried dialing the disturbance and turbulence settings to a stronger level?

Thank you!

I set keys on turbulence and curl noise, but the influence wasn't prominent...

Are you using Auto resize ? Because when auto resize is activated, it enhanced the mushroom effect. So if it is activated, try to turn it off ... otherwise I don't know ...

cheers,

Brice

Brice is correct!

Also you could try inverting the disturbance mask ramp so the disturbance is in the zero density areas to break up the the flat velocities.

But autoresize should be off otherwise you're fighting a loosing battle.

I think you also can try to make a preroll in your sim before activating the combustion ( igniting the reaction ) in order to have your turbulence field fully active.

Tell me if it's not clear enough ...

I think you also can try to make a preroll in your sim before activating the combustion ( igniting the reaction ) in order to have your turbulence field fully active.

Tell me if it's not clear enough ...

Thank you! I wonder why my turbulence can't work so well, definitely gonna try your method!

Thanks Jeffl,

I usually set an initial velocity with noise in it, which is cancelled out when resize is on.

I've messed with injecting vorticles before, I'll do some experiments with what you have mentioned.

Cheers

C

Great knowledge dump there!!!

very good read. :D

I tend to like splitting up the fuel, velocity and density emitters so I can advect the fuel out before the temp it introduced and ignites the whole thing. it means you can sculpt the fuel a bit better and get some interesting burn shapes. Still gets a few mushrooms though!