Houdini 14 Wishlist

LaidlawFX

Tweak-like state with preselection highlighting of components would be good.

eXSI users i think you need it ;)

Amen to that... lol... I feel like this is a very common thing with Houdini UI in this thread LMAO one wicked awesome edit node would go far!

Physical camera properties (ISO, f-stops...) for Mantra.

Like "Maxwell Camera":

Agree 100%. Like you said, Maxwell has it. Vray has VrayPhysicalCamera, and Arnold employs it as well. Anyone coming with any camera knowledge this immediately becomes second nature. "Drop it down a stop" in reviews is easily managed from a single camera node as well, instead of... the many lights that may be in a scene.

Edited by Gyroscope

Agree 100%. Like you said, Maxwell has it. Vray has VrayPhysicalCamera, and Arnold employs it as well. Anyone coming with any camera knowledge this immediately becomes second nature. "Drop it down a stop" in reviews is easily managed from a single camera node as well, instead of... the many lights that may be in a scene.

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini13.0/ref/cameralenses

This isn't enough, lol, I actually found this completely by accident.

Access to the collision geometry data in dops, so I could visualize with dop records, or object import in sops. If it's a data suck in dops, then an off switch or an internal reference object at least. For use with bullet and rbd.

This is kind of silly, but why don't we make Houdini's pointer a little bigger in viewport (yes, like the one from the x app)? I am missing handles hundreds times a day... I always thought it's because of me, but recently working a lot in the x app, convinced me it's not me, it's a pointer which is too small!

What does Dops 2.0 look like?

I'll take a stab at this... 

There will be biases and opinion, but maybe it will get the flow going.

Bringing dops to the sop level... I'm a fan of using one context and not needing to dive in and out of multiple contexts. I appreciate the need for organization, but that's a poor sole excuse. As far as dops is many third party dynamic build there dynamics structure into sops. Many big companies(Sony is one of the top of my head, and there is another person to do that there is a thread on here about) have built there bullet solvers at the sop level with great success. 

Dops needing to be in it's own organizational structure is a little over rated. Yes it's great I can put my solver anywhere in the respective chain. But if you pay attention there is actually a very similar pattern to sops where the nod chain does flow along the path. This even occurs in the example files, so it's not just me in crazy land. If you want gravity to affect a certain part of the sim, you put that node on that chain, just as you put a extrude sop in the chain you need it to be placed in.

The Use Default, Set Initial, Set Always, Set Never is a UI catastrophe... It's awesome to have the control, but in reality this should be a simple programming check that shouldn't effect much time in today's processing world to see if the value changed. Sops does it well, I know the architecture is different, but I willing to bet money you could ignore these on pretty much every single parameter. Also many of the object nodes and solver never show this part of the ui.

The hundreds of nodes available in dops are a little extreme... I'm curious to know the number of artist that actaully build their own solvers and need to see the extent of all these nodes, especially the micro solvers. Imagine a dynamic network with only 50 nodes instead of in the couple hundreds, where you rope together common network chains of tools into larger single tool. Like one configure object with a top level ui change for RBD, FLIP, Pyro, Cloth, and Wire instead of 13 separate nodes with common interfaces, or the 23 separate object nodes. The same thing with the Solvers... 26 of which you could turn into one. Have it auto detect what type of configure object you have a reference that checks up the chain for to see what type of configure object would be cool. It really is an explosion nightmare of nodes.

Maybe the key is to separate dops into two area like in shading the shop level and the shop vop level in node structure. So you have sop level dynamic nodes, but if you want to manipulate them you into dop vop land and have access to the micro solvers. This idea caters to the hardcore fan base that needs the utmost control, and the general user who needs to just get there job done.

At least food for thought.

• Like 2

I am beginning to detest in h13 every wrangle node I see... They are f-ing everywhere. If I wanted to code my software this much why use nodes? The new glue constraint networks have to now use two...  instead of just fixing and updating their old glue network node, plus they needed the addition of a connect adjacent pieces. So three nodes when you could have just done it in one.  That's definitely a classified fail. Come on is there any peer review?

Please almighty update your regular selection of nodes to do the capacity of these wonderful new nodes, instead of letting them die and hang around. An attribute transfer being slow is not an excuse to use a sop wrangle, it's a sign your attribute transfer sop needs to be revised. The next thing I'll see is a sop wrangle instead of an extrude, and I already got two extrude that are nearly identical, but don't help me model in this century.

You can easily make a few more nodes in uber level quality like merging the two extrude nodes into a new ui, and making an environment variable that hides the old two. Or god forbid finally implement a better modeling node. Every node does not need to be of such limited architecture that three similar nodes need to be created for small variations, like connectivity, partition, and assemble.

Less sometimes means more especially when you have nearly 1500 nodes. Also look at nuke, you can combine, multiply, subtract, and every other basic math function plus math function with a constant version in vops in one node.

Cranky morning... Going back to bed... Oh wait I need to continue my love hate relationship with this software for the rest of the day. Maybe Bifrost will help me, lol...

Edited by LaidlawFX

You can easily make a few more nodes in uber level quality like merging the two extrude nodes into a new ui, and making an environment variable that hides the old two. Or god forbid finally implement a better modeling node. Every node does not need to be of such limited architecture that three similar nodes need to be created for small variations, like connectivity, partition, and assemble.

A lot of the XSI guys have been talking about issues like this on the sidefx forum.  Some good suggestions in there, especially the desire for an uber-modeling tool or toolset, that is not necessarily procedural or non-destructive.  Sounds like sidefx is listening and contributing to that discussion. So, perhaps this is not that far off...

A lot of the XSI guys have been talking about issues like this on the sidefx forum.  Some good suggestions in there, especially the desire for an uber-modeling tool or toolset, that is not necessarily procedural or non-destructive.  Sounds like sidefx is listening and contributing to that discussion. So, perhaps this is not that far off...

Would hope so... and I am really behind it, but as far as the rant and this should no way detract from the creation of this specific modeling tool... is that SideFX will only create more nodes to solve their solution. And if you've seen the pipeline of a large scale studio that has been around for years, you can see the tool bloat associated with it. Sometimes in the magnitude of a thousands otls. Which SideFX instead of maintaining their library of internal nodes are leaving these tools in their package as of now nearly 1500+ nodes. So I hope they create that tool, but they need to do a separate house cleaning of their old nodes and re-evaluate their usefulness and the extreme piecemeal nature they now represent. 

• Like 1

Also now with VEX expression being heavily in the mix, in order to use Houdini at a mid level user, you need to know HScript, expression, VEX Expression, VEX, Python, and god forbid you dive into HDK just to use their software on a daily basis. Their language sets need to be fully reviewed and they truely need to depreciate some of them, because in no other package do you need to handle so many other script languages on a daily basic. You may have to learn some obtuse languages like Max Script, but least with maya it's just python and mel, 2 for Houdini's 5+. Yes they are hybrids, but if I start listing the commands we could play a lovely game of what language does the command belong, too.

Sorry for the series of rants today. I'm having to touch all the fun problems today. 

• Like 2

I agree ben ! VEX and PYTHON should be good enough ... i really don't like the expression synthax and try to stay away of it as much as i can. Thanks to point wrangle which is a gift from heaven i can now use vex 95% of the time.

Problem is that i except SESI want to conserve some retro-compatibility and we can't blame them for this ... :)