Homeless man (mild nudity)

abvfx

So i thought i might post something i have been working on lately. It was from an old file i never finished, and thought i might turn it into something.

Textures are hand painted (in 3dcoat) and its just the starting pass (no details yet). I'm pushing my system and Houdini to see how it handles (8 x 4K Textures). The model is a straight import from Zbrush at the moment which is around a 750 polys (which has little no details). The final mesh is around 21 million polys, which might seem excessive but you will see the details that are in the model soon enough.

Still a lot of painting left to do but i need to see how they are reading in the render. SSS maps are generated from the base maps and point cloud about 200,000 points for accurate coverage though i might try higher.

Render times are fairly good. About a 90-110 seconds at the moment. But there is no spec, reflection, disp, or density maps.

In terms of tools, just standad H13, made a custom textureVOP and colorVOP so i can plug in multiple maps faster (turn them on or off etc), working on a procedural eye generator (still early days but the geometry is almost finished). I have done some facial rigging tests and for what i want, i will need to make a custom blendshapeVOP but i have a new (artistic driven) blendshape method that is pretty good at simulating skin sliding which is nice.

Lots more on the way, this is a wip :)

Here is the starting point.

(Beauty render + SSS contribution)

post-666-0-33431300-1385139046_thumb.jpgpost-666-0-54842800-1385139062_thumb.jpg

Looks like the sss needs to be stronger?

Started on the face (nowhere near finished, no details). And early render on the hand.

I think i need an attenuation map, parts like the eyes and fingers scatter too much light or not enough. Its the reason for the dramatic lighting on one of the face renders to review how fast the light dissipates. I have still to roll in the disp and bump. Not sure how they will handle since there i a lot of high frequency detail.

post-666-0-20918200-1385593882_thumb.jpgpost-666-0-19102500-1385593881_thumb.jpgpost-666-0-97939200-1385593882_thumb.jpg

Oh and the lips are way too plum-like in colour. :D

Edited by ab3d

I was worried about this. Obviously my monitor is too bright (back to a factory reset). Thank for your kind words.

I re-rendered the dramatic lighting scene (low samples sorry :P). How is this for clarity? I'm hoping it isn't too washed out.

post-666-0-57936000-1385684865_thumb.jpg

(again very wip)

Edited by ab3d

Is it just dark because your posted image is in linear space?

Nahh, I'm pretty sure it was my brightness setting on my monitor. Hopefully now it should be sorted out.

another eunuch

Hehe :), i have a separate model i made a while back that i use for scale (puts the whole pelvic area into perspective). I usually leave it out as i am always afraid of people who might see this thread at work. But just say the word :P.

So here is another lil update.

Just testing the final base colour map before using the bump and disp to modulate it and adding further details like veins/liver spots/ other blemishes. Also there isnt any bump, disp or spec maps on the model right now.

And i think there needs to be a few model changes (abs, back).

Here is a low rez body shot,

post-666-0-52982100-1386276537_thumb.jpg

Some chest shots (warm, cool lighting)

post-666-0-40444400-1386276536_thumb.jpgpost-666-0-08333600-1386276535_thumb.jpg

Edited by ab3d

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a quick update.

I did some tests with displaement. Faster than i remember, i find OpenSubDiv to render faster than mantra subdivs and the add bump to displacement property is amazing.

post-666-0-56339200-1387596104_thumb.jpg

Also here is an updated look of the body/face. Need to fix the spec at the very least.

post-666-0-23809400-1387596097_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Fully painted the spec, made some adjustments to the shader, let me know what you think? Also did some blendshapes (they are based of FACS and i just made some basic combos), here is the base wireframe for the curious.

skinBlendshapeTest.jpg

wireFrame.jpg

If you want to see the wireframe in full open in a new tab and put in w752.

• Like 1

Edward: Cheers mate :)

shushu: Hehe I can see a sort of resemblance. Maybe this is what might have happened to Geri if he kept playing chess. :)

Im currently testing adding a beard. I would like to do it all with brushes, but i might need to make some custom guides for the hair(scalp). Gonna try and go for a matted dirty clumpy look but we will see.

beard_01.jpg

Edited by ab3d

Here is a small update, i wanted to see how it worked with the skin. Still not sure about how to approach a longish beard, he looks more like a wizard than a homeless person.

beard_skin_02.jpghair_beard.jpg

Guess it will just take a lot of testing. Think it is time to give him eyes though.

Edited by ab3d
  • Like 1

Yea ive been following that thread for years, though i am not aiming for the same level of realism for this character. Every map was handpainted (8x4k mainly colour and spec).

beard_eye_skin_loRez02.jpg

eyeClayWire.jpg

I have been working on the eyes, not too much in terms of texture sry for the small render. (just want to see what it is like at a distance). Right now it is a very simple asset but i will expand to make it more versatile, so far it is mostly procedural except for the corner but i will probably put some global shape controls so i can reuse it on other projects. Here is a lil demo of the iris/sclera.

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a while since i updated this. Working on his clothing. I thought a bath robe would be fitting :). At first it was very uniform, I tried to find the right balance between messy/shaggy, yet having a direction. Here are those tests. First one, shaggy, second one more uniform.

I'm thinking about embedding leaves/twigs, stickers/dirt into the fur, would the best option just be to scatter it over the object and just offset them from surface so they appear on top or partially in the fur?

messyFur.jpg

Uniform (early) version

Edited by abvfx

• 2 weeks later...

So before i do a final image and that last 10% i think im done. Kinda want to move on. Here are some more renders and screenshots. The volumes are for shadow generation. Im not going to raytraces thousand of strands of fur :D.

post-666-0-24490200-1392042946_thumb.jpgpost-666-0-79320400-1392043151_thumb.jpgpost-666-0-94879500-1392042943_thumb.jpg

post-666-0-01237400-1392042938_thumb.jpgpost-666-0-23904000-1392042936_thumb.jpgpost-666-0-51411900-1392042941_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This doesnt have anything to do with houdini, apart from my blog i havent really shared this work. 

Just a quick blendshape test with around 30 facs shapes.

I will probably bring it into Houdini as a mdd and render it just to see what it will look like. 

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn't happy with the look of the beard. So i decided to sculpt a bunch of control hairs. I started out with a low number but that crept up to just over 500. But it was a relatively quick process. Again shadows generated by volumes, bringing the render time to ~2:30. 

reworkedBeard.jpg

• Like 1