Question on flipping bones and orientation

jim c

Guest mantragora

K, then it's going to be a long week Mr. Ironing Man, because it doesn't look like anyone have custom implementation of bones from curve laying on the ground anywhere. I will try to figure out something.

Well the idea was to use a couple of points/nulls to define the basic spine shape/length/position. Then create a temp curve from that, and resample it, and then create the real set of nulls that would be used to generate the bones. The final goal is that this will live in a DA that you plop in your scene, position the basic point,s and then hit a button to generate the rig from. It will automatically generate the mirror bones (right side) and add stuff like a basic IK setup for arms and legs, fk controls, etc.

@edward the lookats are just temporary things to figure out the correct transform. If I use a normal, then what is the appropriate normal to generate? Do I want the normal from pt2 - pt1 ?

Ok sure. So just all the required nodes (ie. the same ones that a bonesfromcurve tool would have created):

- Your curve

- A bone chain of the desired number of bones oriented in a straight line. ie. a root null, plus a set of bones such that their desired length is equal to the arc length of your cuve

- A InverseKin CHOP with parameters set to follow curve

- Set the bone solver parameters to use your inversekin chop

The normals on the curve should point towards the "back" of your character. Use a PolyFrame SOP (I forget which option lets you do curves). Then do the cross product of the curves with probably the -X or +X axis.