Tcl/Tk version

Stremik

Hi Stremik,

You can safely install whatever version you like. Ultimately, it is the version that ships with Houdini that will be interpreting your scripts within houdini or hscript.

So long as you don't use features that are only available in the newer version, houdini should have no trouble interpreting your scripts correctly.

Cheers!

I thought so. Only after asking the question :unsure:

In any case, Thanks for your answer Mario!

On the sidenote, I'm curious how much usefull is having

be able to use Tcl/Tk with Houdini? I mean, how many people

take advantage of it? Do you use it? Does anybody on this

board use it?

There only a fiew examples in od[force]'s codex section which

makes me think that there is not that big of a demand for Tcl/Tk

in Houdini community.

Am I wrong?

Oh; without a doubt it is useful. But with the advent of OTL/HDAs, I find the need to get into TCL/TK has been reduced significantly (dare I say extinguished? ;) ).

It is still useful in cases where you want to drive some external component from within Houdini, for example. I used to do *lots* of TCL stuff, but lately I haven't had any need for it.

So.... your milage may vary.

Cheers!

Despite my fondness for Tcl/Tk, it's probably better to just do java with Houdini these days just because you'll likely find more employers looking for "java" on resumes rather than "tcl/tk".

Who are you?

Where is the real Ed?

If I was an employer and I saw Java on someone's resume I would hire them in a heartbeat....

....so I could fire them 10 seconds later.

Honestly though...

If you need a quick little tool UI thing then tcl/tk is the way to go...

If you need some heavy tool that has to manage a lot of back end, is being worked on by a lot of people and stuff then Java is the way to go.

tcl/tk can give you a functional gui pretty quick and doesn't require a lot of coding. However it scales like ass. If you get hit by a bus and someone else has to pick up where you left off its easier just to start over.

Where as java if you have people who know how to plan and chart out a good design then you can have lots of people working on it. (but all those people will be bitching ;) )

Hahaha... Aaaaaaah....

Yup; I agree 100%.... I remember my own bitching all too well :P

I just got to see the beginings of JFC/Swing (I was using AWT back then), but *man* I just hated it. Maybe it's all gotten beeeeautiful now (haven't touched it in a few years)...

And if you don't need any fancy services, I'd prefer to just jump straight to C++ (plus Boost) and, say, FLTK or some other cross-platform combo...

I dunno; just never got around to liking Java.... guess Edward wouldn't hire me :(:D