chops help offset animation on instance

Hi everyone.

I try to do some kind of flocking bird effects where al the birds are offset in animation with instance objects.

Now i have setup a simple scene with just some tubes with a sin expression on the translate Y which i want to offset using chops.just for testing

but i cant figure out what i do wrong.

I think its a simple fix but i dont have that much of an experience with chops.
anyone?

thnx alot

ChopHelp.hip

Check the attached file.

You had a couple of mistakes, or misconceptions if you prefer. Your geometry CHOP was loading P and you were trying to scope out only ty and that was confusing the operator. In this case, scope all components of P and then delete the ones you don't need.

In the Chop network, the first geometry CHOP loads in the animated tube. I then use the math CHOP to create as many channels as your destination points. Then you created the shift which is fine and lastly I bring the grid points to get the x and z components right.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

ChopHelp.hip

Check the attached file.

You had a couple of mistakes, or misconceptions if you prefer. Your geometry CHOP was loading P and you were trying to scope out only ty and that was confusing the operator. In this case, scope all components of P and then delete the ones you don't need.

In the Chop network, the first geometry CHOP loads in the animated tube. I then use the math CHOP to create as many channels as your destination points. Then you created the shift which is fine and lastly I bring the grid points to get the x and z components right.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Hi thanks for you reply again :)

The way this works is realy nice THNX

but now im try to adjust is to a simple animation of birds that are animated  for Loop purposes to act as birds with offset.

I have my maya animation of a butterfly which is exported as Alembic (ABC)

But how to change those channels in chops??

thnx for your reply

You don't even need CHOPs for that, you can do it with a time shift, copy stamping and a couple of expressions...

Check Peter Quint's video tutorial here

(and treat him for a beer if you can... ;))

Cheers

Well...yeah i already use the copystamp for other things but thats not gone work for me on 3000 butterfly's or more.

So i still need to do this in chops i think.

See WIP around 40sec: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kudmvggwnsm3wq9/V01-particleTST.mp4

sorry for the quality