dna

Artem Smirnov

Hi guys. A time has passed from the splash screen contest and I had free time finally. I decided to make animation  from my contest work and hope you can help me with advice and feedback. I already did some tests and ran into some problems.

Firstly, I cant get rid of black spots in the shader. I know that bump is source of the problem, but no matter what settings I use they still in place. In houdini 12.5 there were no spots.

Second, the raytrace sss too noisy. A Point Cloud sss flicker in animation. So I cant get clean image even with insane sampling.

Third, I have the  obvious penetrations in the simulation, but I have some ideas how to deal with it.

My shading/rendering skills are not the highest one so any comments and feedback are welcome.

In the todo list is adding some atmosphere fog and particles.

test animation:

http://vimeo.com/82656946

post-7416-0-02966800-1387903011_thumb.jp

Edited by Artem Smirnov
  • Like 1

I think it looks nice!  I see the black spots you're talking about.  I had some problems with sss myself here:

http://forums.odforce.net/topic/17503-subsurface-component-mantra-surface-shader-not-shading-as-expected/#entry106139

Looks like it could be the normals?  Do you still get the problem if you render a single notch of the dna?  Maybe the interpenetrations could be causing some weirdness?

Well, this spots not depend on sss. I have a shader only with diffuse and bump and spots are not going away. When doing bump you only modify shading normals  so there couldn't  be any penetrations as in displace. The fact is that in houdini 12.5 everything renders clean, but in 13 something happened to shading or whatever. But in 13 it renders about 3 times faster, so I don't want to go back to 12.5 land=)

which version of H13 are you using? there was a bug fix for blackness when the Specular Anistropy was pushed to -1 a little while ago.

What is the shader and lighting setup? Something we can test with would be good. thanks!

• 3 months later...

Hello Artem,

I work at a scientific communication department of the European Academy of Bolzano in Italy. We have made a video for the Institute of Mummies and the Iceman, who work on ancient DNA. Your DNA animation would work perfectly in the intro of the video, and we are curious if you would allow us to use it. It is for non-commercial use--simply an information video on the work of the institute. 

Please advise, and kind regards,

Peter Farbridge

European Academy of Bolzano-Bozen

www.eurac.edu