pin with packed?

ekenryd

Hi,

I'm new to houdini and I wonder how you pin geometry when using packed objects?

I've shattered some stuff and want them to remain in place, i.e not effected by gravity, until my colliders hit them. What is the most common way to do this with packed objects? My google fu seems inadequte when it comes to houdini.

Thanks for your answers.

Edited by ekenryd

While very interesting, it felt quite high level sometimes (still at a very basic level) and it still didn't really solve my problem. I just want a simple pin constraint, which defies gravity and breaks depending on the force it gets. I will look more into it, thanks for the link anyhow.

• Like 1

The 'Chains' example file for the Constraint Network DOP shows how to set up pin constraints for packed objects.

An alternate approach would be to use the 'active' point attribute to make the object static until an impact occurs against the object.

Forces aren't any different - they cause the object to move (and violate the constraint), and the solver then does some work to attempt to enforce the constraint. The exception is glue, which only can be broken by collisions.

I'd suggest submitting a bug report if an example file is crashing.

• 3 weeks later...

Since this thread is open I would like to ask help to understand the "Chains" file example in order for me to understand the pin contraint with packed RBD objects.

In the end of the contraint network you end up with the double of the points, which seems to be one for the anchor and one for the goal position, correct me if I am wrong, but there is also one point with no piece attribute relating to it even though it acts as the top pin constraint, it´s really confusing can anyone give a little explanation about how the hard constraint DOP really work with those network constraints?

Thanks!

Firstly For HardConstraint - both points of your primitive(line) for constraint should have a name attribute (point) for instance piece50 for point0 and  piece150 for point1 if they have proper names they will know which points from packed primitive they should constrain together.And secondly both points of your primitive(line) should be in the same position for example in the center of first piece from point0 or point1. Hope it will help you.

Thanks man! it helps but I still have some questions if you don´t mind.

Let´s say I want to pin all the pieces from my broken torus to a certain point in the air, which point should be at the position in the air? point 0 or 1? I mean how I thell houdini that that I want to pin my torus pieces in that position in the air? I hope it makes sense for you.

Thanks again!

Edited by Mzigaib

Thanks man! it helps but I still have some questions if you don´t mind.

Let´s say I want to pin all the pieces from my broken torus to a certain point in the air, which point should be at the position in the air? point 0 or 1? I mean how I thell houdini that that I want to pin my torus pieces in that position in the air? I hope it makes sense for you.

Thanks again!

The pin constraint ensures that the positions of both anchors always match, so you would want both anchor points set to be at the position in the air. Also, if one of the anchors is not attached to an object, but is attached to a world space position, it needs to have an empty 'name' point attribute.

pin_packed_objects_fail.hipnc

Along similar lines, does anyone know how to get packed prim rbds to be glue constrained to an animated deforming surface? For example, if you had a deforming surface bend, and as it bends, pieces that are glued to it would start to tear and pull apart the rest of the objects constrained to it. I'd rather get a glued response than a pin which has more degrees of freedom. When using the same example above with a glue constraint instead of pin, it seems to just stretch.

• 2 years later...

i was thinking of the same thing although glue constraint doesn't seem to respect world space anchors, we probably need to place bogus packed objects for it to attached to, and set it to never collide unto anything,
hopefully in the future we get more opitons, glue has this nice ability to bunch objects together as one, unlike the hard/pin constraint which will stretch or jitter, seems to me that glue is much more worthy of the name hard constraint.

Edited by willow wafflebeard
  • Like 1