Anyone using 4K displays for 3d?

magneto

• 3 weeks later...

Mint 17 is out, and solves most of the high-dpi issues with that distribution in Linux. Window borders are still razor thin, making resizing a bit more of a pain than it should be. But otherwise the micro-icons are gone, and the message text in pigdin is no longer fine-print sized.

Cinnamon stability is supposedly improved, though I still locked up the desktop once playing around with the prefs, so I guess it's all relative.

• 1 year later...
Guest mantragora

I prefer horizontal layout for applications, so 4K monitors are not for me. Ultra Wide on the other hand, that's something that I'm interested in.

lg-21x9-widescreen-monitor-021.png

Edited by fântastîque Mântragorîè
  • Like 1

Anyone using 30+" 4K monitors or is it too big?

What do you guys think about this monitor?

ugDv8fB.png

http://4k.com/monitor/a-review-of-the-philips-brilliance-bdm4065uc-4k-40-inch-monitor/

I have used the philips 40 inch 4k (Philips Brilliance BDM4065UC) for 4 months, happy with it. somtimes can have reflections in corners when strong sun and near to window. used to multi 24 setups but i dont go back. running houdini on normal global UI size and have nice options to arrange useful desktops layout. only 8 bit, but looks nice. Have heard from people using curved samsung 34 inch  that they are satisfied.

• Like 1

I have used the philips 40 inch 4k (Philips Brilliance BDM4065UC) for 4 months, happy with it. somtimes can have reflections in corners when strong sun and near to window. used to multi 24 setups but i dont go back. running houdini on normal global UI size and have nice options to arrange useful desktops layout. only 8 bit, but looks nice. Have heard from people using curved samsung 34 inch  that they are satisfied.

That's very cool. Do you still use it? If so, a screenshot of Houdini with normal and Hi-DPI would be really useful. I am actually glad that you mentioned the normal UI size because according to my calculations which could be wrong, 44" 4K monitor should have the same dpi as a non-4K monitor so everything should look normal. So I imagine your 40" monitor should be very similar.

If you use Hi-DPI, what happens? Does everything get unusually large?

A question for Mark, since he implemented this: Does Hi-DPI code rely on the actual monitor brand and model so it knows the actual size of the monitor or is it a one size fits all scaling for all 4K monitors? Because if it's one size fits all, I don't know how it can produce optimal results since the size of the 4K displays vary wildly, from tablets to 65" giant displays. Would love to know this detail :)

High DPI is just a fixed scale with some minor tweaks to icon sizes. It isn't enabled or set based on the DPI of the monitor. This is because some OSes don't have support for querying it (Win8.0 & earlier, OSX 10.8 & earlier) and some OSes just downright lie (X11 on Linux). For a 40" or 65" 4K, Normal mode would work fine, and maybe Large mode if it's mounted some distance away (ie, meeting room).

• Like 1

Thanks Mark, I am surprised querying is not supported. Otherwise I can imagine having a list of available 4K monitors wouldn't be too much of a hassle to get that perfect scale inside Houdini. Your remarks about 40-65" displays makes a lot of sense.

2 of these should satisfy mantragora :)

41CpWlwj0lL._SL1200_.jpg

Yeah, it's a little crazy that querying the DPI of a monitor was only added to OSX and Windows a couple of years ago. Or maybe not, given the mess that Windows font scaling has always been with applications. I run across quite a few apps that still have bad scaling issues, even with Win10. Multiple monitors with different DPIs is still a problem for Houdini, since we don't support multiple UI sizes (ie, pick one DPI and scale the UI for that).

• Like 1

In that case do you think the best is to have a parameter that asks for your DPI in the preferences? That way the default could cover common cases but then for exceptional ones, the user could override the DPI setting which would result in a new calculated value for the UI size.

Thanks Mark, that's awesome. That value reminded me network editor zoom scale :) It would be nice to be able to restore to 1:1 zoom level on the network editor using the H key. The viewport has both home and focus, so the network editor could also have them where one restores the zoom to 1:1, and the other one does what it does when you press H.

I think with large displays getting to 1:1 level becomes even more important as the network editor is the most used area and seeing as many nodes as possible at the default zoom is such a nice enhancement.

Just wanted to mention it pre H15 release :)

On the topic of 4K, with a value like this, I think Houdini will accommodate all displays of any size, right? Even if you have 55-65" where things would look much larger in default hi-DPI. With this value, you can preserve the same UI size that you see in 1080p @ 24" or 4K @ 42".

That's very cool. Do you still use it? If so, a screenshot of Houdini with normal and Hi-DPI would be really useful. I am actually glad that you mentioned the normal UI size because according to my calculations which could be wrong, 44" 4K monitor should have the same dpi as a non-4K monitor so everything should look normal. So I imagine your 40" monitor should be very similar.

If you use Hi-DPI, what happens? Does everything get unusually large?

A question for Mark, since he implemented this: Does Hi-DPI code rely on the actual monitor brand and model so it knows the actual size of the monitor or is it a one size fits all scaling for all 4K monitors? Because if it's one size fits all, I don't know how it can produce optimal results since the size of the 4K displays vary wildly, from tablets to 65" giannormal 40 inch 4k

normal 40 inch 4k

have to learn how to attach 4k jpgs, dosent work to drop them i directly, will try again later :mellow:

anyone now how to insert 4k jpgs, i see its possible in thread ? http://forums.odforce.net/topic/20241-animated-short-helga/

tttt

Edited by icaro
  • Like 1

normal 40 inch 4k

have to learn how to attach 4k jpgs, dosent work to drop them i directly, will try again later :mellow:

anyone now how to insert 4k jpgs, i see its possible in thread ? http://forums.odforce.net/topic/20241-animated-short-helga/

tttt

I think if you upload it to imgur, you can then use that bbcode here and it will show correctly :)

• 3 months later...

Sorry for the spam but can someone please post a 4K screenshot of Houdini showing lots of panes like Object Tree View, AttribWrangle with code, network editor and the viewport of course? I just wanna test it on 4K TVs in store out of curiosity :)

Is there anyone who use a giant 4K TV from far to have the ultimate Houdini experience ?

• 4 months later...

Just a quick note that H on 4K 32in Dell looks great - the High DPI UI setting is very good as OsX dosen't see this monitor as a HiDPI. 

Gtx980, OsX 10.10.5