working with audio

Hello, i'm relatively new to Houdini and have been working on creating animations using 100% procedural audio.

I have done the great tutorials of Peter Quint and I have some basic stuff happening.  Super fun and I'm loving it; hope to post some WIPs soon.

My question is related to separating out various instruments.  I have struggled and struggled with the pitch SOP with very little success.  My goal is to have different 'instruments' (say voice, or guitar etc.) drive specific objects/channels but i'm having a really hard time 'pulling apart' the music.  Are there any tutorials or known 'best techniques' for doing this?  

Obviously, if i had the source tracks pre-mix down that would be ideal, and i've started to poke at some music software that has this for CERTAIN tracks, but most commercial music is not available that way; i'm stuck w/ already mixed .mp3 and .flac.  

ANY help greatly appreciated here, thanks in advance,

jsunandmax

your best bet is to find .mid file of the music and use instruments from there to drive animation

for .mp3 you will probably have to stick with Pitch CHOP, or maybe you can get valuable help on forums for audio editing softwares on how to separate different layers and then either separate it there or maybe the knowledge is transferable to CHOPs

Thanks Anim, .mid is probably the best approach, but are those files EVER available for great music like....Marilyn Manson, Massive Attack, Purity Ring or Gladkill?  

I suspect your right re: audio world......this quest has lead me to something called FL Studio, which i THINK can do some separation (at least as much as i need), and it DOES have a bunch of songs that come with it that are pre-seperated, but my real goal is to feed the machine ANY song and have it react to the music.  So far getting great results based solely on Amplitude...but not much else.  

Thanks,

Hi there.

I don´t know if you know about it, but there´s an ebook by Andrew Lowell called

"Simultaneous Music, Animation and Sound Techniques with Houdini"

which might help you a lot with all your audio-related Houdini projects.

It ain´t free but it is pretty cheap. Well worth the investment.

http://www.andrew-lowell-productions.com/andrew-lowell-productions/resources.html

Edited by Netvudu

I have it. Bought it long ago. I do recommend it, even just for the CHOPs knowledge of the first few chapters. You will probably get much more info along the book than you actually need, such as several chapters on working with MIDI, which might be useful or not to you depending on what you intend to do.

There are four chapters devoted solely to working with audio files, so I would find it hard to believe there´s nothing useful for you there.

It´s well explained and with lots of color screen grabs.

I do recommend it, but you will have to invest some time to it.

• 5 years later...