smoke trail clustering help

tanyakim

Hello,

I need help rebuilding a scene (trail_smoke_on_curve.hip). I've been sitting on this for weeks now but I still can't figure out what's wrong with my scene (trail_04_copy.hip)

I would like to create multiple containers for a trail smoke. The problem with my scene is the containers do not stop resizing to encapsulate the emitter. So I end up with multiple enclosing containers. There should only be overlap on the edges.

Let me know if I can be more clear. Thank you!

trail_04_copy.hip

trail_smoke_on_curve.hip

and here's one with the resize node plugged back in to resize to the static maximum defined by your attribute.

The biggest problem I could see was your size attribute on your clusters was huge. Instead of editing that, you changed the scale of the cube that was being visualized.

Hope this helps?

trail_04_copy_FIX_resize.hip

• Like 1

Thank you JaydenDP. It's awesome now!

Other than the scale attribute, what else did you fix? I was able to get the containers working but, unlike your file, mine only emits volumes in the first container. What do you think I should look for first?

I really appreciate your help.

Oh yeah, I think it might have been the noise applied to your source volume. There were areas where there was no volume emitting so the resize container didn't know where to go. Try disabling your noise to see if that helps. If that fixes it then switch it back on and tweak it so that there's always at least a small amount of volume?

I can't check the file right now so there might have been something else I changed, if yours is still broken I'll try check it again tomorrow and see.

If I knew any tutorial I would recommend it to you Hardik. If you say you are new to Houdini I would rather learn the pyro solver first before jumping into this one. Trust me, in Houdini it really helps to take small steps at a time.. I would say, save this awesome file that Jaydne have provided. Then try to learn some more about the pyro-solver before coming back to it. :)

Edited by Hudson
  • Like 1

If I knew any tutorial I would recommend it to you Hardik. If you say you are new to Houdini I would rather learn the pyro solver first before jumping into this one. Trust me, in Houdini it really helps to take small steps at a time.. I would say, save this awesome file that Jaydne have provided. Then try to learn some more about the pyro-solver before coming back to it. :)

I didn't make that setup! Just fixed a few things :D

I agree with Hudson, Hardik, keep learning about solvers and micro solvers first.

I didn't make that setup! Just fixed a few things :D

I agree with Hudson, Hardik, keep learning about solvers and micro solvers first.

Alright then. But you can't drive a car if you haven't fixed the wheels right :D

thanks guys for the input. I will go deeper in houdini before learning complex stuff. thanks :)

Do it! it took me 2 months to finish my first sim and it was just a few grey rocks being fractured :P