Houdini RnD - 2013/2014

tfreitag

thx! :) ...it was really fun to do. On my journey into Houdini discover every week new amazing things. Last week I discover the world of particle (DOPS), PRTexporter and 3dsmax/Krakatoa..hehehe... :blink:

Its really amazing ...so i will update my rnd-video soon

Edited by tfreitag

• 2 weeks later...

thx! :) ...it was really fun to do. On my journey into Houdini discover every week new amazing things. Last week I discover the world of particle (DOPS), PRTexporter and 3dsmax/Krakatoa..hehehe... :blink:

Its really amazing ...so i will update my rnd-video soon

Nice , you found a good way to exporte animated mesh from houdini to 3Dsmax ? wiith H13 !!

since i am working with apprentice hd its not that easy, because you can't export fbx. but i have found severals workarounds:

1.) for animated/deformed mesh with constant pointnumbers:

exporting your obj-seq from houdini    

downloaded objloader(scriptspot) for max

then load your first frame (as an static mesh) and load your animation as an obj-seq(with your loader script)

put a skinwrap on your static-object and load your animation seq in the skinwrap modifier

now cache all out with point cache. voila.

2.) for animated with changing topology(works only with vray)

export your obj-seq out of houdini

i found a really nice tool (vray)

there is a ply2vrmesh.exe exporter (you could found in windows-start menue under chaos group folder)

ply2vrmesh is a command line tool...but its amazing, because it's loading your obj-seq, voxilizing the mesh and put it at the end in one vrmesh-file. its come outs really small file size. you could use motionblur etc. and fast playback in viewport.

hope i could help.

Edited by tfreitag

since i am working with apprentice hd its not that easy, because you can't export fbx. but i have found severals workarounds:

1.) for animated/deformed mesh with constant pointnumbers:

exporting your obj-seq from houdini    

downloaded objloader(scriptspot) for max

then load your first frame (as an static mesh) and load your animation as an obj-seq(with your loader script)

put a skinwrap on your static-object and load your animation seq in the skinwrap modifier

now cache all out with point cache. voila.

2.) for animated with changing topology(works only with vray)

export your obj-seq out of houdini

i found a really nice tool (vray)

there is a ply2vrmesh.exe exporter (you could found in windows-start menue under chaos group folder)

ply2vrmesh is a command line tool...but its amazing, because it's loading your obj-seq, voxilizing the mesh and put it at the end in one vrmesh-file. its come outs really small file size. you could use motionblur etc. and fast playback in viewport.

hope i could help.

Thanks , i will try it :)

• 2 weeks later...

no problem :) ...here some new rnd-clip....its my first steps with dops and i divging a little bit in field of displacement...and i have to say another time WOW!

its a  pyro sim -> advect particles -> convert to openvdb with fluid particle vdb sop (its so amazing..how it works with thin sheet etc.) and meshes it

i capture the normalized curvature (with the vopsop of i.houdini)...and drive it some displacements

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/34142573/pyro_meshing_v04_wearshader%2B.hipnc.mov

• Like 1

• 4 months later...