.rat mip-mapped?

Hey guys,

are .rat files mip-mapped when created with iconvert or do you need to add a special tag? the help for iconvert mentions a mipmaps tag but I don't know where to put it or if I even have to...

any thoughts?

:D

Hi Vasilis,

I'm sorry for stepping in, but I'd like to use the opportunity to ask those knowledgeable who'll be here. Is there any good read about using mip-maps in Houdini you could recommend?

I think I understand the idea, and I believe .rat does the magic automatically, but how do you use it with production needs? So for example, I have a geometry with one UV set and I have a camera which eventually zooms into certain area on this geometry. And so I obviously need higher resolution in this area and keep rest low-res. What is the proper way to prepare a texture for such a situation? Do I have to do a single high-res file and convert to rat (that would be resizing base low-res texture to fit hi-res and then merge hi-res piece over it)? Or is there other more suitable ways? 

• Like 1

Rats files are mip-mapped by default, no need to add any tag nor do anything else but saving your texture as *.rat.

@teratera: I also haven't meet any limitations. Make texture enough big to handle your close up, then convert it to rat file. Rats are not only mip-mapped but also tiled. It can easily handle >48K resolution.

• Like 2