Challenge: Flocking Cones

Description:

Flock particles from a grid to a sphere. Copy an object to the particles. The copied objects need to orient themselves in mid flight so they land back on their base. The base of the object needs to sit on top of the grid and the sphere and not intersect them. Must be procedural.

See attached mov file

Enjoy :rolleyes:

I'll post my hip file later.

challenge.mov

hi bobster, i'll give this a go. :)

there seems to be a problem with the .mov file though - anyone else had problems? i thought it was a linux problem, but its not working here at work either on winXP. error is "challenge.0001.jpg required and not found" or similar.

not sure if its too early to ask for hints or not, please say if it is.

i have particles flocking from the grid to the sphere. heres what i need to work out:

1. i can only flock all points on the grid. you have 10 cones, which means you must have somehow grouped only 10 points to flock? a 3x3 grid is 9 points so you cant possibly be using all points in a grid.

2. similarly i cant control which points on the sphere the particles will flock to. suspect this is related to #1.

3. as for the rotation, well im guessing i need to align the cones to the normals of the sphere.. working on that :)

This is what I've been thinking. Grid as your source, the grid uses a impulse birth rate of 10 at frame 1 only. As for the rotation I was thinking something with the primitive sop. I don't know I'll figure something out.... maybe. :huh:

Scratch the primitive plane. <_<

Sure Mark, clues are fine. Regardless of what the grid is you can emit from surfaces instead of points and then you can control exactly how many points you what, Impusle Activation $FF==1 Impusle Birth

Rate 10. I'm attracting particles to the sphere randonly, so they specify where they're going to hit based on the drag and interact. The key to this effect lies in SOPs with the Ray SOP.

:D

sorry, second take.  Mine was done with CHOPs.

It's a pity a few cones go through the sphere, but still very good.

EDIT: I haven't been very active here lately, I'm going to give it a try aswell.

Very Nice Lukich. Great use of CHOPs (which I'm still learning).

Looks good cpb. How did you do yours? Mine was done in SOPs using the Ray SOP to calculate the distance from the sphere. I'll post my hip file soon.

Hey TheUsualAlex, is that your son or you when you were a kid?

Bob :D