Animated packed primitives in H13 Bullet

Hi -- I'm trying to figure out a way to get animated/deforming geometry working for packed primitives in dops.  I really like working in VOPs and SOPs, so the packed primitive workflow is really appealing to me, but I can't seem to figure out how to get animated/deforming colliders.

I have gotten my packed primitive to animate and match the animation in SOPs, and activate based on an attribute 

This is my best attempt so far. 

Inside the dop network, there is a red switch node.  You can switch between the packed and unpacked primitives, for reference. 

The unpacked primitive never gets released to becoming dynamic, but maybe it's useful.

Inside the green sop solver in the DOP network is another red switch node.

The first input here works great after the packed primitive becomes dynamic, but doesn't collide properly/at all until then.

The second input works while it's tied to the animation, but gets all squirrely and weird afterward.  It's almost like the pivot point is totally off, or.. I don't know.  More confusing than that is that the guide geometry is clearly not what the bullet solver is colliding with, since the guide geometry is in the right place.

Could someone take a look and see if there's a better way to do this?  All I want is for my packed primitive to be tied to some SOP animation for a while and then become active in the scene.

Also, as an aside, do DOP groups work correctly and reliably in a multi-solver? I know it's a dumb question, but I have had a pretty hard time isolating which geometry my solvers are running on so far.

Thank you so much to anyone who can help :-)

• 4 months later...

you might want to try this thread on the SESI forum: 

https://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=30392&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

I posted a hip file there that I think will do what you need. 

Hi -- I'm trying to figure out a way to get animated/deforming geometry working for packed primitives in dops.  I really like working in VOPs and SOPs, so the packed primitive workflow is really appealing to me, but I can't seem to figure out how to get animated/deforming colliders.

I have gotten my packed primitive to animate and match the animation in SOPs, and activate based on an attribute 

This is my best attempt so far. 

Inside the dop network, there is a red switch node.  You can switch between the packed and unpacked primitives, for reference. 

The unpacked primitive never gets released to becoming dynamic, but maybe it's useful.

Inside the green sop solver in the DOP network is another red switch node.

The first input here works great after the packed primitive becomes dynamic, but doesn't collide properly/at all until then.

The second input works while it's tied to the animation, but gets all squirrely and weird afterward.  It's almost like the pivot point is totally off, or.. I don't know.  More confusing than that is that the guide geometry is clearly not what the bullet solver is colliding with, since the guide geometry is in the right place.

Could someone take a look and see if there's a better way to do this?  All I want is for my packed primitive to be tied to some SOP animation for a while and then become active in the scene.

Also, as an aside, do DOP groups work correctly and reliably in a multi-solver? I know it's a dumb question, but I have had a pretty hard time isolating which geometry my solvers are running on so far.

Thank you so much to anyone who can help :-)