Build me a houdini desktop

Hello world

You should wait a bit.

+

about the 64 ram: thats on 2011 socket

With the new Socket LGA 2011-3  the replacement for socket LGA 2011.

the price should drop and for your budget of $1500 that is really close.

Mangi

Edited by mangi

What are you primarily going to be doing in Houdini? Sims, rendering, modelling, animation?

A quad-core Intel CPU is a cheaper option than the hex-cores out there, so unless you're doing heavy renders & sims, you might want to look at that (4770, 4670). Otherwise the cheapest hex-core is ~$600 (4930K), but at least that gets you access to 64GB as well (the quads are limited to 32). If you're going the Windows route, you'll also need a Pro version to access more than 16GB of memory.

The System Requirements are changing for the next version of Houdini, so some high-end consumer cards are allowed. A GEForce 760 or higher will work well. If you're considering OpenCL sims, look for one with >2GB.

The Velociraptor HD, while fast for a mechanical drive, also gets very warm. I would suggest either going with a cooler 7200rpm drive, or make sure that it's installed directly behind a front intake fan.

malexander:

sims and rendering 

I want it for my home,mainly for heavy sims and rendering.Primarily I am thinking of keeping on upgrading my machine every 2 years as the technology part by part rather than buying everything at a very high end for a huge price

will Hyper Threading enhance the simulation speed or anything? could somebody throw some light on this.

Edited by Hello world

I want it for my home,mainly for heavy sims and rendering.Primarily I am thinking of keeping on upgrading my machine every 2 years as the technology part by part rather than buying everything at a very high end for a huge price

That's reasonable, with the exception of replacing the CPU. Sockets rarely last more than 2 generations, and replacing the CPU and motherboard is a real pain. So I'd suggest buying the CPU you want (seems like a hex-core is reasonable). Replacing drives and the graphics card is pretty easy, but memory is about to switch from DDR3 to DDR4 soon, so you may not be able to buy higher density DDR3 modules (16GB DIMMs, for example).

Also, Haswell-E, due sometime in Aug/Sept, will have eight cores at the high end but that also may be outside your budget. Might also be a long time to wait :)

Intel's SMT (hyperthreading) will give you a small boost, somewhere on the order of 10-25%. You get it on all hex-core CPUs, but only on some quads & duals.

I'm a intel fanboy, but if you're on a tight budget, I've seen people do server builds with the amd opteron series on dual socket boards and getting pretty nice bang for the buck, and even some really nice overclocking potential too from the desktop counterpart amd chips. However the intel chips almost always do better on the benchmarks, but honestly is a 5%-10% performance gain worth the extra hundred or 500 bucks. There's those who want the latest greatest tech, and those who want something that will last a good 5 - 8 years from now.