Simple render

Hi all,

I rendered the following image with mantra (6.1.323) using ambient occlusion and photon mapping. The DOF effect was created with the DeFocus COP in Houdini 7.0.

http://odforce.net/gallery/image.php?id=103

Would anyone care for a tutorial on how to create and render an image like the above? Comments and feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

steven

Thanks guys!

DaJuice, the DeFocus COP is a new addition. The Depth of Field COP is... I'll copy & paste the help here instead :P

Depth of Field COP
This operation creates a depth-of-field mask, which describes how out of focus parts of the image are. Combined with a Blur COP with the mask set to M and "Accurate Blur Mask" on, a depth-of-field blur can be done. This mask can also used as an input to color correction operations to accentuate an area of interest.

A point or depth plane must be present in order for this operation to produce valid results.

Referring to the help above, you combine the DeFocus COP with the DOF mask & get ready to be impressed. The "Accurate Blur Mask" stated above is "Per-Pixel Defocus" in the DeFocus COP & it must be turned on for it to work correctly.

In addition, the DeFocus COP works great if you want to...erm... defocus the background. It's really fast and has cool controls. Check it out.

Cheers!

steven

I'm currently updating the helpcard documentation for COPs, so I'll try to make it a little more clear what the relationship between the DOF/Defocus/Blur nodes is.

Basically,

1) DOF generates your blur matte from a Pz (depth) or P (point position) plane, rendered from Mantra as a Deep Raster (or separate file).

2) Defocus + Per-Pixel Defocus is similar to idefocus in Shake, and Blur + Accurate Mask Blur is similar to iblur (I'll make the parm names consistent. Doh).

3) Feed the image into the primary input, the blur matte into the mask input, click on PerPixel/Accurate Mask and you'll a similar result to what Steven's got.

Also, there will also be some simple examples of how to setup these types of operations available in the helpcards.

Glad you like it! Try Defocus with some HDR images... always good for eye candy :)