Premiere Pro. What next?

TeaspoonsMaster

After Effects is a compositing and motion graphics application. Houdini is a 3D animation application with very different feature sets. What in particular interests you about films and 3D animation? The effects and destruction kind of stuff, characters and animation, something else? Houdini is particularly good for effects work given the node based procedural workflow but it can do other things as well. 

If you're looking at after effects. but are interested in 3D as well, I'd look at a Cinema4D and After Effects mix.

Houdini will probably not be the right thing for you to look at right now. If you get a taste for it, by all means it's a powerful piece of software, but the learning curve is steep compared to something like C4D.

If your interest is in MoGraph, take a look at this first to see if Houdini is the path you want to go down:

https://vimeo.com/63586054

Good Luck

Christian

C4D is probably the must basic one to learn, but that's a subjective answer.

Houdini is capable of doing what you want to do, because it's probably capable of anything (biased), but C4D + AE is what you're after I think.

I would also advise you to  look at that combination of AE and c4D.

If you are comfortable with Premiere after effects will be very easy to transition or learn.

Also After Effects and Cinema 4D are working better and better together these days. 

You will be able to learn both of them quite fast with your first nice looking results so the frustration barrier is not that heavy, as Houdini barrier can be. 

If than later on you feel limited in what you can do with Cinema 4D - you'll eventually get there - come back here and we will greet you with open arms :)

This is pretty much the way I learned and went as well.

I started with learning After Effects and then directly Houdini...... 3D seemed hard at first but not that hard. instead of learning two softwares(C4D then Houdini), you can also jump directly to houdini if u want to save time.

yep 2D -> Houdini will be much easier than learning another 3D program 1st. I've seen people take to Houdini in a couple of weeks after previously only having used PhotoShop, while people experienced with other 3D programs tend to bitch & complain for months, or even years.

Houdini can be tricky to learn properly without understanding how CG works, if you don't want to end up being frustrated artist thinking how difficult CG is I'd recommend C4D first as well, unless you just want to jump into FX stuff directly

C4D is very artist friendly and easy to learn yet powerful to cover most of the needs for small studios, you can always play with Houdini on the side, compare different workflows, later integrate more procedural assets in C4D using Houdini Engine for C4D and when you are ready you can switch fully to Houdini or even stay with C4D if you like it more for your needs.

Agree with everything else written here - another good option these days is Blender.  Powerful toolset, good rendering and lots of web resources. Price is zero too, and, the time cost in training in it is well spent too ;) 

http://www.blender.org

Nuke is a very strong compositing program, that has some 3d in it. It compliments Houdini very well, as Houdini is a very strong 3d program, that has some 2d in it.

Nuke is to Houdini what AfterEffects is to C4D...

So you make your content in Houdini, put it together in Nuke (although Houdini has the ability to do it also).

I'm still saying C4D is going to be the better bet for you. If later down the line you want to expand, then Houdini is defo the way to go IMHO.

when i first tried houdini i used the the pyro explosion shelf tool and i found myself trying to make sense of the pyro2 shader, you know what horror that is for a beginner?.

i say man stick on with it, even sometime it doesnt feel like your learning anything at all. youll be surprise(that you learn something that is)