Wire Object Collisions - Wires getting caught inside object

leah_beeves

Hey all,

I am very new to Houdini and am trying to use the wire object/wire solver to simulate fur on a tiger.

I have it setup and working, but when I increase the number of curves I'm simulating, I get some issues. Mainly, some of the wires get caught inside the tiger geometry and look like they get stuck and therefore stretch.

It seems to be when the tiger's legs come very close together, the wires from one leg get stuck inside the other.

Does anyone have any experience on how to resolve this? I am using volume based collisions on a static object and static solver, and the settings are pretty much the default settings.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Adding onto this.. I have managed to reduce the issue by increasing the substeps, but ofcourse this isn't ideal.

It seems that when the collision geometry self-intersects, the wires go through then get stuck inside the object.

Are there any settings on the collision object that mean the wires take into account the normals of the object? I think if this happened then the wires would never get pushed out the other side of the mesh.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

What I believe you should do is give the animation some pre-roll so that the curves aren't penetrating the tiger at the start frame. Then animate the curves into place, so that they collide against the skin as they fall in place. This way there are no penetrations at the start, provided you have a good collision geo.