BSDF Bonanza: GGX, Microfacets, Disney BRDF and More

Wolfwood

For those of us who view this as magic is there a HIP file for h14 with a simple scene that I can play around with? Or is it as simple as dropping in a Disney BRDF (cvex) node in a material shader builder? I did that, and whilst renders out lovely, if I crank metallic up it takes forever to render anything.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey I really love these shaders thank you so much for letting us use them ! Since Houdini 14 I ran into the same "makebasis" Problem Ajz mentioned. It looks like its working despite the error at first but it is ignoring diffuse bounces in PBR Mode .

oh and for anyone who is trying to make this work in H14.

Looks like sidefx have added their own version of makebasis()

So just replace all instances of makebasis with a different name in the various _sample and _eval ops and it should work fine.

Hope that helps

Sorry I m a total noob with that shading ops stuff , I dont know how to access the ops to edit them through the otl . It would be much appreciated if you could give me a few pointers in how to edit these files to change the makebasis variables name.

thank you so much for your time!

• 2 months later...

These shaders are great, thank you for sharing Jim!

I've ran into an issue with the disney shader.

Indirect diffuse is too bright when using an indirect light (with PBR).

I assume this might be related to the albedo issue that Serg mentioned?

Has anyone managed to make this work?

Or any ideas how to make it work?

thanks

They are sadly not compatible with the gi_light and far as I can tell, there is no workaround for it. I tried doing ray switches on level > 0 to a simple vanilla BSDF from SESI without luck, tried generating the photon maps with vanilla materials and then swapping to Disney afterwards without luck either.

Worst of all, even SESI's new Principled Shader DOES NOT work with gi_light which is a real letdown since I was very much hoping that H15 would open back up the possibility of photon mapping within PBR workflows.

I'm at a loss for rendering great looking interiors with Mantra right now. I seem completely unable to get a decent looking HD interior frame back in under ~2hrs on a 16C 3.3GHz Xeon box.

They are sadly not compatible with the gi_light and far as I can tell, there is no workaround for it. I tried doing ray switches on level > 0 to a simple vanilla BSDF from SESI without luck, tried generating the photon maps with vanilla materials and then swapping to Disney afterwards without luck either.

Worst of all, even SESI's new Principled Shader DOES NOT work with gi_light which is a real letdown since I was very much hoping that H15 would open back up the possibility of photon mapping within PBR workflows.

I'm at a loss for rendering great looking interiors with Mantra right now. I seem completely unable to get a decent looking HD interior frame back in under ~2hrs on a 16C 3.3GHz Xeon box.

I replied here with something that may or may not help you: http://forums.odforce.net/topic/24137-irradiance-caching/

• 5 weeks later...