Graduation Project : Procedural Map Design

Achraf

Over the course of my graduation project I looked into how a procedural system could be established that would generate a unique deathmatch map that would require as little need of user input as possible. I researched the structural elements of classic deathmatch maps and applied these to construct organic environments.

The procedure goes through several steps to establish rooms and paths. Once all rooms and paths have been established a volumetric approach is used to create the mesh. The uv mapping and and polygonal optimization are also completely automized allowing the user to generate a unique map by only pressing a button.

Next to having a tool that generates maps without the need for user input, several features for user control were implemented, this does require some knowledge of how Houdini works. The user can manually adjust paths (adding removing etc.) and sculpt additional cover objects. Once exported the map can be imported directly into UDK and be played against bots.

• Like 2

Looks great.  How scalable is this asset?  Is it more for close combat or can it be used for large scale battlefields?  It is great to see Houdini being used in games.   I am assuming you used the Houdini Engine, how did you like it with the Unreal Engine?