Crafting a gold glitter ground plane

Macros

I am trying to recreate something I made in Compositing in 3D and been wondering which would be the best way for me to go about it. I have used Houdini quite alot in the past and because I am leaning toward using particles to make this, I thought I would ask the forum and get some professional opinions about how to go about creating this.

Whats the best method with least render time to create a groundplane like this and for it to look as good?

Should I rather just use maya or is Houdini the right place for this?

post-5135-0-94270700-1407839637_thumb.pn

Hi,

considering the DOF and the diplacement, Mantra it will be the best solution I think. 

Displacement for? Ground plane with displacement and shader?

What about particles? Is mantra good with creating those glitter sparkles and bokei?

That would greatly help. I have been tinkering in Maya and tried a displacement map using granite noise and car paint shader for mental ray and the results arnt looking great, also tried using ncloth and instanced particles. Will try get them to get houdini at the office, will do some tests on Houdini when I get home in the meantime.

Hey I have tried some tests and im getting far from desirable results, if you could show me a test I could maybe work back from it. - Its been 2 years since worked with houdini so having to re-learn everything!

you will get the glitters from the displaced ground with noise and a reflective material with the light looking to the camera. rest will be done by the DOF I guess I will try to replicate it and post a sample file