Realism of the Render

hi,where can i start learning houdini rendering deeply?if the pipeline is modeling > animation > materials and textures > lights and cameras > effects > rendering and compositing then don't have any problem with modelling section,how can learn deeply the sections after animation?i want realism in my renders,i mean super realism,not interested so much in animation yet,i just to be able to render with production quality,how do i get there from scratch?

I the first step is play and test out theories in Houdini - then iterate on the parts you don't find successful, then reference books and online resources to dig into the part that 'just aren't working'.

Realism is much more achievable now that Physically Based Rendering systems are implemented. Using High Dynamic Range, HDR, images, as an environmental light and reflection take you 50% there by pushing a few buttons. The next 50% is the is artistic and skill.

You should get busy with the Scientific and Technical Acadmeny Award winning book/resources at http://www.pbrt.org

'From movies to video games, computer-rendered images are pervasive today. Physically Based Renderingintroduces the concepts and theory of photorealistic rendering hand in hand with the source code for a sophisticated renderer.'

I the first step is play and test out theories in Houdini - then iterate on the parts you don't find successful, then reference books and online resources to dig into the part that 'just aren't working'.

what are these theories?how can i find and work on them?

Realism is much more achievable now that Physically Based Rendering systems are implemented. Using High Dynamic Range, HDR, images, as an environmental light and reflection take you 50% there by pushing a few buttons. The next 50% is the is artistic and skill.

i have the book "Physically Based Rendering From Theory to Implementation", is it a good idea to start learning about PBR with this book?

You should get busy with the Scientific and Technical Acadmeny Award winning book/resources at http://www.pbrt.org

'From movies to video games, computer-rendered images are pervasive today. Physically Based Renderingintroduces the concepts and theory of photorealistic rendering hand in hand with the source code for a sophisticated renderer.'

yeah these book are really good,thinking of buying them all

the theories are your theories, the level of knowledge you have.  The fundamentals are knowing that materials are made up of diffuse, specular, subsurface, Refraction.. have a look at MantraSurface that ships prebuilt with Houdini.

Then try to make an object like a plastic cup - the questions start with:

Without light there is no image. What light do I need, what light is available in the computer program. How do I set it up. How do others set this up.

Then it's material.  how do these materials really look in different light, is there subsurface scattering, is there reflection, etc what cgi rendering and shading techniques are available to deliver the required look.

One part of rendering realistic work is learning to really see the world in the way the computer program needs to see it. Remember in the end you're translating the world into mathematics and the computer is a really dumb but super quick addition and subtraction machine! :) 

There is a book called 'Digital Lighting and Rendering' by Jeremy Birn that is quite nice.

The fundamentals are knowing that materials are made up of diffuse, specular, subsurface, Refraction.. have a look at MantraSurface that ships prebuilt with Houdini.

i was just looking for something like this,in for example cinema 4d in material editor you can see all the building blocks of a material(diffuse,epecular etc)but i didn't know how to find these till now that you talk about surface shader,the thing i love personally about houdini is it's more complex to master than anything :) everything is some kinda technical,they say being simple and intuitive for a software(like c4d)requires a good ability of the developers in understanding and then making it straight forward for using by others,but i at least like to have deep control on everything.

What light do I need,How do I set it up. How do others set this up

Then it's material.  how do these materials really look in different light

is there subsurface scattering, is there reflection, etc

what cgi rendering and shading techniques are available to deliver the required look.

how do i master these stuff marty?i have a desire for 3d and visual effects(specially composition) but i can't just make them happen,i wanna understand these words,concepts,expressions,settings but i just don't know where to start from. after some discussions in here with some forum members i've come to using these:fxphd tutorials,and two books called "the physically based rendering" and "digital lighting and rendering",i've also bought the book "Digital Modeling of Material Appearance",what do you think?

One part of rendering realistic work is learning to really see the world in the way the computer program needs to see it. Remember in the end you're translating the world into mathematics and the computer is a really dumb but super quick addition and subtraction machine! :)

nice ;)

There is a book called 'Digital Lighting and Rendering' by Jeremy Birn that is quite nice.

i have this book but i think it's 2nd edition,i think i saw the 3rd coming yesterday,is there any big difference between 2nd and 3rd edition?

How do you master it: by practice :)  How do you learn to play tennis, rock climb, surf, maths - you need to test out your ideas. Observe the results, then iterate.

You may have work out what you really like to do: with cars do you like to tinker with the engine or race them. 

I would advise you simultaneously to study art and photography

to get more sensitive with light, color, contrast and maybe start getting small simple objects into real footage

these days many renders and 3d packages can pull it off

of course efficiency and speed, customization is another issue for bigger projects

Mantra is certainly a great one to work with and learn it more in depth.