No reflection with chrome material

Buzz

Hi,

I was hoping someone could help me out.  I am following a tutorial that was originally created in Houdini 10 and uses the Reflective material that no longer seems to exist.  I have found another post on here mentioning that I should use the chrome material as a replacement.

I have done this, however, what is strange is that I am not seeing reflections when using this chrome material with global illumination.  The geometry with the chrome material assigned has no direct illumination from any lights.  When I add an additional light source to the scene that directly illuminates the geometry, I do see reflections - they don't seem to need additional direct illumination in the tutorial.

The original tutorial comes packaged with a completed example scene which opens and renders fine in houdini 13.  The VEX graph for the reflective material that existed in houdini 10 is obviously being used -  I've compared the chrome VEX graph to this original reflective material VEX graph in Houdini 13 but I am finding it hard to figure out what the major differences are that's causing me not to get reflections with the chrome material.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly!  I had a look at your scene and it helped point me in the right direction.  It turns out I had a material with a custom surface shader.  Comparing this with the constant shader in your scene, it turns out the custom shader in my scene didn't have an emission (Ce) parameter exported, so the object in the scene didn't pick up the reflection from my custom ramp surface.

Any idea why this wasn't required in houdini 10 with the reflective material but is now in H13?

Thanks again!