Welcome to od|forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

28 posts in this topic

I've always been fascinated by procedural set modeling, so I figured I'd try my hand at modeling some tropical marine life in Houdini. I'll be posting my progress here! I have started hashing out a few basic types of coral, anemone, etc. Hoping to eventually get this all into a large scene.

Anemone motion test: 

coralWIP_01.jpg

brainCoral_01.jpg

donutCoral_01.jpg

bundleCoral_01.jpg

I apologize, but I cannot currently share hip files of these scenes since they may be used in a contract.

Edited by kgmcnamara
1 person likes this

Hey Diego! Thanks, hopefully I won't disappoint  ;)  Yep, I am just using a basic wire sim with constraints and wind force, super easy to set up.

A little bit of progress on my anemone digital asset. Given an input curve that defines the body shape, the digital asset exposes a handful of parameters to tweak your anemone just the way you want it. Lots more to come (when I can find the time!)

post-9427-0-00444500-1416469783_thumb.jp

Edited by kgmcnamara

Thanks Dan, that's a very cool paper. I'll give it a good read through and see if I can apply some of the techniques!

Starting to play with fan coral growth, using a space colonization approach covered in Shawn Lipowski's VEX course: 

post-9427-0-77073600-1417546644_thumb.jp

post-9427-0-44167600-1417546666_thumb.jp

Edited by kgmcnamara
2 people like this

Great stuff, I can't wait to see how far this will go..

Thanks! Looking forward to exploring more coral types and starting to put them together. Spent some time expanding the fan coral digital asset to include a two-pass space colonization that allows for a main and sub branch structure.

post-9427-0-46120200-1418286987_thumb.jp

post-9427-0-29568300-1418286988_thumb.jp

post-9427-0-29020700-1418286989_thumb.jp

post-9427-0-97732900-1418286989_thumb.jp

1 person likes this

Using reaction diffusion to grow some new types of coral! Lots of fun exploring how to tweak the chemicals to get different types of growth.

post-9427-0-77464700-1419036592_thumb.jp

Edited by kgmcnamara
8 people like this

where I can I learn more about reaction diffusion in Houdini?!

Hey kleer001,

I got that answer, I am not sure if Kevin is using Gray-Scotts Model but here are some sources for you along with that VEX class I mentioned before

http://mrob.com/pub/comp/xmorphia/

http://www.cs.utah.edu/~gk/papers/tvcg00/node7.html

http://training.cgsociety.org/course/vex-in-houdini

Cheers!

1 person likes this

Yep, I am using the gray-scott model. It's quite straightforward to implement using an attribWrangle and a SOP Solver. The links above are great resources, as well as Karl Sims' page

There is an open-source library for reaction diffusion called Ready. It's extremely powerful and can be a great place to start.

1 person likes this

Back experimenting with some coral growth! Here's an early test using an adaptation of differential mesh growth. Lots to tweak, but it's a start at growing this kind of mantipora "shelf" coral:

Edited by kgmcnamara
3 people like this