I've always been fascinated by procedural set modeling, so I figured I'd try my hand at modeling some tropical marine life in Houdini. I'll be posting my progress here! I have started hashing out a few basic types of coral, anemone, etc. Hoping to eventually get this all into a large scene.

Anemone motion test: 

coralWIP_01.jpg

brainCoral_01.jpg

donutCoral_01.jpg

bundleCoral_01.jpg

I apologize, but I cannot currently share hip files of these scenes since they may be used in a contract.

Edited by kgmcnamara
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Diego! Thanks, hopefully I won't disappoint  ;)  Yep, I am just using a basic wire sim with constraints and wind force, super easy to set up.

A little bit of progress on my anemone digital asset. Given an input curve that defines the body shape, the digital asset exposes a handful of parameters to tweak your anemone just the way you want it. Lots more to come (when I can find the time!)

post-9427-0-00444500-1416469783_thumb.jp

Edited by kgmcnamara

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Dan, that's a very cool paper. I'll give it a good read through and see if I can apply some of the techniques!

Starting to play with fan coral growth, using a space colonization approach covered in Shawn Lipowski's VEX course: 

post-9427-0-77073600-1417546644_thumb.jp

post-9427-0-44167600-1417546666_thumb.jp

Edited by kgmcnamara
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

where I can I learn more about reaction diffusion in Houdini?!

Hey kleer001,

I got that answer, I am not sure if Kevin is using Gray-Scotts Model but here are some sources for you along with that VEX class I mentioned before

http://mrob.com/pub/comp/xmorphia/

http://www.cs.utah.edu/~gk/papers/tvcg00/node7.html

http://training.cgsociety.org/course/vex-in-houdini

Cheers!

• Like 1

Yep, I am using the gray-scott model. It's quite straightforward to implement using an attribWrangle and a SOP Solver. The links above are great resources, as well as Karl Sims' page

There is an open-source library for reaction diffusion called Ready. It's extremely powerful and can be a great place to start.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...