Edit and Continue and HDK

Syrux

For the longest of times, Edit and Continue wasn't supported in 64-bit mode (ie. until Visual Studio 2013). Since Houdini is currently built with Visual Studio 2012, so stop right there if you're on 64-bit. Otherwise, it may or may not work if you compile your plugin with the  -Od -ZI compiler options ... your mileage may vary.

• Like 1

For the longest of times, Edit and Continue wasn't supported in 64-bit mode (ie. until Visual Studio 2013). Since Houdini is currently built with Visual Studio 2012, so stop right there if you're on 64-bit. Otherwise, it may or may not work if you compile your plugin with the  -Od -ZI compiler options ... your mileage may vary.

Thanks Edwards! I recently read an article explaining that Houdini doesn't support Edit and Continue, since Houdini loads all the plugins at startup, you have to close and open Houdini if you want to see the changes made to the code, of course you have to rebuild to project. I tried with the 32 bit version but not luck. given you experience in this subject may I ask you, where can I found a step by step explanation of the why you have to create all those classes, the header, the parameter list, etc? Everything is so simple with Vex and Python.

Edited by Syrux

Guest mantragora

Given you experience in this subject may I ask you, where can I found a step by step explanation of the why you have to create all those classes, the header, the parameter list, etc? Everything is so simple with Vex and Python.

Classes, Header files etc. are basic concepts of C++ language. Get some C++ book first before you jump into HDK.

BTW.

If you don't know even those basics about programming, why do you want to go HDK route?

Classes, Header files etc. are basic concepts of C++ language. Get some C++ book first before you jump into HDK.

BTW.

If you don't know even those basics about programming, why do you want to go HDK route?

Well, I know those basic things, Mantragora. :). It wont be productive to start a C++ plugin without knowing the main language. Maybe I didn't make myself clear.

What I want is an explanation of why, for example, all the custom SOP have a header and the C++ code in different files, why you need a header can't you just declare the function inside the main library? For example in the CPPWave example: Why you need to check if the inputs are locked, then free them at the end. Why you have to duplicate the source?

And like this there are many other examples, that exhibit the same "route", I need to know why you need to do it that way.

Edited by Syrux

Guest mantragora

Well, I know those basic things, Mantragora. :). It wont be productive to start a C++ plugin without knowing the main language. Maybe I didn't make myself clear.

What I want is an explanation of why, for example, all the custom SOP have a header and the C++ code in different files, why you need a header can't you just declare the function inside the main library?

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1305947/why-does-c-need-a-separate-header-file

For example in the CPPWave example: Why you need to check if the inputs are locked, then free them at the end. Why you have to duplicate the source?

And like this there are many other examples, that exhibit the same "route", I need to know why you need to do it that way.

You have to duplicate source only if you want to modify it, and that's because form your input you can only get geometry marked as const.

Start there:

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/hdk13.0/_h_d_k__op_basics__sop_filter.html

and go thru each topic in this documentation, or at least Houdini Operators/Geometry part of this docs.

• Like 1