Learning H13 new pop network

ieatvfx

Hi All.

Im currently learning Houdini and many tutorials are pre H13 using the old pop network which I can just about get my head around and find the correct nodes I want to use but very slowly.

I now want to get up to speed of using the new pop network as this has improvements and will continue to be developed in later versions.

Is there any tutorials on using the new pop network? Simple as creating rain. I can do using the old system with a emitter, few forces and a collision. With new pop network I'm lost as the collision node is no longer there.

thanks.

Simple as creating rain. I can do using the old system with a emitter, few forces and a collision. With new pop network I'm lost as the collision node is no longer there.

That's the beauty of the new pops, they just automatically collide with the other stuff in your sim. For example create a ground plane or a static object and off you go.

Static rbd objects use volume based collision detection by default, so a grid probably fails for that reason. Either switch the object dop to use surface collisions or use objects with volume.

Also it's probably safer to wire things up the same way the shelf tools do, with rigid bodies connected to an rbd solver, and then the solvers merged together with a collision relationship..

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I had created a simple tutorial about the new Particle system in Houdini 13. You might find it useful.

regards

Rohan Dalvi

I love your tutorials. Learned quite a bit already. Thank for those!