Solutions for whispy smoke trail?

FelixU2

Hi guys,

I'm trying to create small explosions of fireworks, seen in Harry Potter (1:23 - 1:25):

I've created the particle explosion, but now I'm struggling a lot with creating the whispy smoke trail the those particles leave. I see tutorials about those big, high density smoke trails (rocket smoke trails for example), but not about subtle, low-density, whispy smoke trails. What would be a good solution to create this kind of effect? I've added my hipnc file so far, with the explosion, if that may be of any help.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Felix

fireworks.hipnc

The obvious problem with doing ink and wispy effects with particles is that even with millions of points you still have to blur, blend, and smear in post to get a solid-looking volume.

If I were presented with this task I would do 90% of the shots with a spite-based system. I would "sell" the effect by adding fluid sim densities for hero moments (maybe someone's hand interacts with a trail, or a trail is very close to the camera). Finally I would use the sprite system with carefully driven points on a line to direct the smoke that falls in between the bulk sprite shots and the procedural fluid sim shots.

• Like 1