Who am I?

I must still say, with either SubSurface scattering shader generously donated, its really impossible to render this guy with a bounding box of under 1 unit. This has been scaled to ~10 units. This can be a little akward for real-world scales when you get SSS being exhbited most evidently on objects that are small (under 1m in size). We always stick to real-world scales here - 1m = 1 houdini unit.

I must still say, with either SubSurface scattering shader generously donated, its really impossible to render this guy with a bounding box of under 1 unit.  This has been scaled to ~10 units. This can be a little akward for real-world scales when you get SSS being exhbited most evidently on objects that are small (under 1m in size).  We always stick to real-world scales here - 1m = 1 houdini unit.

13368[/snapback]

On the last version of the shader I sent you (will post soon), increase "Object Virtual Size" to 10, and leave the geometry at its original size (and you might need to increase the number of scatter points). Unless I screwed up on the version I sent you, the effect is identical to actually scaling the object. (we were all just testing this here, and it is working reliably).

Having said that; I won't deny that the object-space scale of the object has a huge influence on the solution (*any* solution), since it is all based on distance. But we all agree that you don't want to re-scale your object just to make the shader happy, which is why I added that control.

Let me know if it works.

[edit] Don't use the version in the original posting though; that one treated the re-scaling differently... again; will post soon[/edit]

On the last version of the shader I sent you (will post soon), increase "Object Virtual Size" to 10,

Ah - for some reason I thought that just did some scaling of numbers internally just to avoid precision errors.

I'll try that! :)

Unfortunately I only ever grabbed the monster in a posed position - not the riggable pose.

Here it is:)

13380[/snapback]

Thanks Jason!

The more geometry I can test this puppy on, the better.... and as we both know, there's likely *some* geometry out there that will likely expose some weakness ;). I suspect this thing will continue to evolve for some time. Definitely *not* a plug-and-play shader :blink:

About the "real world" scaling: the preset materials (which come from Jensen's paper), were measured in millimeters (absorption/mm, and scattering/mm). this means that using those materials, 1 houdini unit is being mapped to 1 millimeter. Which is of course just as "real world" as 1 houdini unit to 1 meter -- ergo the scaling parameter....

Thanks again,

Cheers!