kgmcnamara

transform() modifying UV's?

Hi, I am rotating a piece of geometry that has a point uv attribute. However, when I use the HDK's transform() function and feed it a matrix, I get pretty funky UVs coming out the other end. Is there a way to stop GEO_Detail::transform() from modifying my uv's? I have tried using some of the extra arguments, but there isn't much explanation in the docs around what they actually do.

// up_vec is the up vector. y_rotate is a float rotation value
UT_Matrix4 rot_mat = UT_Matrix4(1);
rot_mat.rotate(up_vec, PI*y_rotate / 180);
my_geo->transform(rot_mat);
Edited by kgmcnamara

This might be a long shot, but are you by any chance using a build earlier than 13.0.483?

I don't know if this might apply to your case as well: https://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_journal&Itemid=213&page=index&journal=default&view=FULL&logfile=ALL&icon=ALL&version=ALL&buildstart=483&buildend=483&perpage=20&search=transform&find=Find

Houdini 13.0.483: Fixed a bug that caused non-transforming attributes (such as "rest") to be affected by the Transform SOP if the transform only contained a translation.

This behavior would be correct if uv were vector type, not float[3], H13 is very strict here. Are you sure isn't it a vector type?

Judging from the docs, quickxform = true will disable attributes' transforms, but for all of them. Perhaps updateaffectednormals=true will force normals transform despite quickxform settings...

if the uvs are of type vector and you don´t want to change this for some reason, just set the attribute to nonTransfoming.

for example:

GA_RWAttributeRef uvAttrib = gdp->findFloatTuple(GA_ATTRIB_POINT, "uv", 3);
uvAttrib.get()->setNonTransforming(1);

EDIT: Didn't see Petz's post. That did it! Thanks!

Original reply below

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the reply symek. I believe the attribute is indeed a float3, since it is displayed as [0][1][2] instead of [x][y][x] in the details pane?

I have tried with quick transform = 1, as below, but with no luck. For more information, I have included the UVs before and after transform. Any ideas?

UT_Matrix4 rot_mat = UT_Matrix4(1);
rot_mat.rotate(up_vec, PI*y_rotate / 180);
my_geo->transform(rot_mat, my_geo->getPrimitiveRange(), 1, 1, 1, 1, 0, NULL, 0);

post-9427-0-74208300-1418234854_thumb.jp

post-9427-0-12257200-1418234859_thumb.jp

Edited by kgmcnamara

hmm the float3 vs vector 3 would have had my guess as well...
maybe try making a simple scene where you manually create a uv attribute as both
see it it makes a difference, it should. (colours don't change upon rotation for example)

if still having problems contact SideFX support?

edit: NVM :P glad to see it resolved :)

Edited by freaq