Hi,

I am trying to filling an object without intersections and without small gaps. Any body help me how to copy objects based on each object's bounding box. Is there any way to achieve this with the help of Voronoi fracture sop. Please guide me.

I attached two reference images which i am trying to achieve.

post-6051-0-45869400-1418320520_thumb.jp

post-6051-0-42958000-1418320526_thumb.jp

It may sound tedious, but I would literally fill up a negative space with the objects. As in I would make an object hose and drop them in a collision object that's built around the object I want to fill. That way your objects' size are really respected. You can also freeze each object after a certain period of time.

I have a scene like this somewhere, I think. I'll try to dig it up.

It may sound tedious, but I would literally fill up a negative space with the objects. As in I would make an object hose and drop them in a collision object that's built around the object I want to fill. That way your objects' size are really respected. You can also freeze each object after a certain period of time.

I have a scene like this somewhere, I think. I'll try to dig it up.

Thanks for the reply, this is my final option. I will try to achieve this procedurally.

I just noticed that in your "3D" lettered example all the objects are oriented on planes. So, I would hazard a guess that those objects were arranged by hand within the shape and then duplicated.

Also, I have just the slightest notion of what might work for you, VDBs. Somehow using them to stack... Maybe doing intersections? No idea, lol.

• Like 1

I agree that the example render with objects creating a letter were likely placed manually because that would be much easier. However this can be done with the SOP Solver. See the attached example scene I created that uses the Monte Carlo method. It's slow like a floppy disk but works with oddly shaped objects and oddly shaped bounds (or rather any shape objects and bounds). I'm sure there are things that could be done to optimize it but you get the idea of how it works.

post-4703-0-80235600-1418420732_thumb.pn

monteCarloFiller.hip

• Like 2

I agree that the example render with objects creating a letter were likely placed manually because that would be much easier. However this can be done with the SOP Solver. See the attached example scene I created that uses the Monte Carlo method. It's slow like a floppy disk but works with oddly shaped objects and oddly shaped bounds (or rather any shape objects and bounds). I'm sure there are things that could be done to optimize it but you get the idea of how it works.

Thanks Luke, thanks for the Hip it is slow but works, both images created with cinema 4D they used rigid body dynamics. I am trying to do in Houdini.  I am going to use the method suggest by  Kleer001.

• 2 years later...
On 12/13/2014 at 4:57 PM, eetu said:

The better and smarter you want your packer to be, at the limit you will end up with something that's pretty much the equivalent of a physics solver.. 

Ran into this thread by accident now but yeah, the grain solver works great for doing packing - random points, increase pscale per frame until it collides with something and beyond that it's just making sure it doesn't birth new seed points inside current spheres. In this case I just locked the setup to a surface and used intersection analysis and the polypath to create the circles, but if you birth the points in a volume you have sphere packing and if you want to use more complex objects, you just set this up with the bullet solver. :) 

circle.packing.optimized.gif

• Like 4