Need an nVidia card to replace ATI's

cyclinggimpe

I've been reading reviews galore and just get confused as to what I should purchase.

I recently purchased an ATI Radeon 9600XT and liked it for the most part; newer games play well. But, then I opened Houdini Apprentice and couldn't get it to work (even with some environment variables set to what was suggested). The store where I bought the card said that they would exchange it for an nVidia card (since their OpenGL drivers are better than ATI's) and then I would just have to pay the difference; nice of them to do this since I've had the card for 23 days already.

The geForce 6800 looks like a nice card; but, I have a 350 W power supply and they suggest, I think, a 480 W supply minimum and I don't want to up the power supply just yet. What is the FX 5600 Ultra like; or, what is comparible to the ATI Radeon 9600XT or better? Price is a factor also. I paid $275 CDN for the ATI but am willing to go $100 to $150 more. I want to use this card in Houdini Apprentice as well as the new DirectX9 games and I can't afford the workstation cards..

Thanks.

I bought an Nvidia 5900XT about a month ago, paid approx. $250 CD for it (I think)... It's serving me pretty well, but I'm using Houdini strictly with Linux. It does great with games on the Win XP side of things... I'd say it's a very good card if you don't quite want to go all the way with the 6800.

Well, I'm getting the FX 5900XT; the 6800 was too much money for me at the moment. The 5900XT has to be better than my old geForce 2 pro that I was using with Houdini. I read some good reviews about the FX 5900XT.

I didn't really want to go the soft FireGL route. I don't think you should need to do that in order to get some OpenGL applications to work. The card should be able to handle OpenGL without the fix; nVidia seems to be able to get their gaming cards to work in OpenGL applications. I thought that I would give ATI a try; but, now it's going to take a lot of something to get me to try one of their cards again.