SideFX releases Houdini 14

robert.magee

I tried High DPI but too big for my monitor :) Anyone with 4K monitors can report how it looks?

It looks nice. High DPI is designed for monitors with a DPI > 150. It just renders all UI elements larger, and affects the choice of bitmaps in some cases (like cursors). It won't sharpen anything on a normal DPI monitor.

There is still a ton of features I want to go through but the new viewport looks light years ahead of the competition. Very slick work by Mark himself I assume

Thanks for the nod, but I did very little visible feature work this release. All low-level work for me (and crowd support). The rest of the viewport team did all the cool stuff :)

• Like 3

It looks nice. High DPI is designed for monitors with a DPI > 150. It just renders all UI elements larger, and affects the choice of bitmaps in some cases (like cursors). It won't sharpen anything on a normal DPI monitor.

Thanks for the nod, but I did very little visible feature work this release. All low-level work for me (and crowd support). The rest of the viewport team did all the cool stuff :)

Thanks Mark. I thought you were the viewport team :) The viewport feels really nice. There are some focus issues I encountered in the network editor when moving nodes and panning, where the network editor was still thinking it's on focus when I was on the viewport, but have to use more to see it.

Btw I ran out of likes for today, will hit you tomorrow.

The default expression is fixed in the next daily build (14.0.216)

That was fast! Thank you!

I'm also having some problems with new visualizers - not sure if they work properly for packed primitives - P is the only attribute I can see in the viewport.

I was going to submit it but It may be me who is doing something wrong.

Amazing release, it will take some time to catch up with new and updated features. One quick question, is anyone else having problem with context popup not appearing when typing expressions in parameter fields (it is enabled in preferences)? Win7, H14 build 14.0.201.13

EDIT: Just found out that it works but in different way then in H13. For example after "../ I have to type first letter of any existing node, then "backspace it" to get list of all available nodes to select from. In H13 the selection list would pop up immediately after backslash and then you could filter it down with specific letters. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but if feels much more inconvenient to work with.

Also I miss that little help card that would appear after entering expression followed by open bracket. Is there any way to get all that "retro H13" functionality back? :)

Edited by SaleVonGeist

Also new scatter sop is cool but can't find where is attribute bias control  :unsure: Oh and what about object size meters in viewport? everything seems much bigger on the grid than in H13

Edited by Tato

Amazing release, it will take some time to catch up with new and updated features. One quick question, is anyone else having problem with context popup not appearing when typing expressions in parameter fields (it is enabled in preferences)? Win7, H14 build 14.0.201.13

EDIT: Just found out that it works but in different way then in H13. For example after "../ I have to type first letter of any existing node, then "backspace it" to get list of all available nodes to select from. In H13 the selection list would pop up immediately after backslash and then you could filter it down with specific letters. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but if feels much more inconvenient to work with.

Also I miss that little help card that would appear after entering expression followed by open bracket. Is there any way to get all that "retro H13" functionality back? :)

Yes I really liked the old behaviour. The new list of functions that drops down when you type a couple of letters is very useful though. Just odd that that old functionality has been removed.

Constant activation is disabled in Grain birth "Pop source" how to achieve continuous sand emission. Any info please..!!!

EDIT: Sorry my mistake, If we change Emission type to points its enabled. And if anybody emitting "sands" in order to avoid exploding particles please "reduce" POPGrains-->Solver-->VelocityBlend, will give smooth sand emission.

Edited by sankarakumar

Oh and what about object size meters in viewport? everything seems much bigger on the grid than in H13

The construction plane size was changed from 10x10 units (2.5 units/major block, 8 minor ticks per major block) to 4x4 units (1 unit/major, 10 minor ticks).

Most default SOP object sizes are the same, though some of the shelf tools make them smaller by default (Grid shelf tool). Some of the default SOP generators now use more divisions by default as well (torus, sphere).

Yes I really liked the old behaviour. The new list of functions that drops down when you type a couple of letters is very useful though. Just odd that that old functionality has been removed.

My apologies. I broke that. Will be fixing in the next few days. 

• Like 1

Guest mantragora

1. Is it only me or PointWrangle was killed in this release and replaced by AttributeWrangle set to Points mode?

2. GR_UtilsGL3.h is also killed? What I should use instead?

3. What to do with this?

C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.13/toolkit/include\DM/DM_VPortAgent.h(153) : error C2061: syntax error : identifier 'GR_PickRecord'
C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.13/toolkit/include\DM/DM_VPortAgent.h(159) : error C2061: syntax error : identifier 'GR_PickRecord'
C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.13/toolkit/include\DM/DM_VPortAgent.h(169) : error C2065: 'GR_PickRecord' : undeclared identifier
C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.13/toolkit/include\DM/DM_VPortAgent.h(169) : error C2923: 'UT_Array' : 'GR_PickRecord' is not a valid template type argument for parameter 'T'
C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.13/toolkit/include\DM/DM_VPortAgent.h(177) : error C2061: syntax error : identifier 'GR_PickRecord'
C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.13/toolkit/include\DM/DM_VPortAgent.h(186) : error C2065: 'GR_PickRecord' : undeclared identifier
C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.13/toolkit/include\DM/DM_VPortAgent.h(186) : error C2923: 'UT_Array' : 'GR_PickRecord' is not a valid template type argument for parameter 'T'
C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.13/toolkit/include\DM/DM_VPortAgent.h(203) : error C2065: 'GR_PickRecord' : undeclared identifier
C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.13/toolkit/include\DM/DM_VPortAgent.h(203) : error C2923: 'UT_Array' : 'GR_PickRecord' is not a valid template type argument for parameter 'T'
C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.13/toolkit/include\DM/DM_VPortAgent.h(210) : error C2061: syntax error : identifier 'GR_PickRecord'
C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.13/toolkit/include\DM/DM_VPortAgent.h(508) : error C2061: syntax error : identifier 'GR_PickRecord'
C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.13/toolkit/include\DM/DM_VPortAgent.h(516) : error C2065: 'GR_PickRecord' : undeclared identifier
C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.13/toolkit/include\DM/DM_VPortAgent.h(516) : error C2923: 'UT_Array' : 'GR_PickRecord' is not a valid template type argument for parameter 'T'
C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.13/toolkit/include\DM/DM_VPortAgent.h(525) : error C2065: 'GR_PickRecord' : undeclared identifier
C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.13/toolkit/include\DM/DM_VPortAgent.h(525) : error C2923: 'UT_Array' : 'GR_PickRecord' is not a valid template type argument for parameter 'T'
C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.13/toolkit/include\DM/DM_VPortAgent.h(532) : error C2065: 'GR_PickRecord' : undeclared identifier
C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.13/toolkit/include\DM/DM_VPortAgent.h(532) : error C2923: 'UT_Array' : 'GR_PickRecord' is not a valid template type argument for parameter 'T'
I see in HDK docs that there are changes in UT_Array, but GR_PickRecord is not one of them o_O

I blame Halfdan for this mess ;)

Edited by mantragora

1. Is it only me or PointWrangle was killed in this release and replaced by AttributeWrangle set to Points mode?

Yes - all hail the new king AttributeWrangle.

btw. not that this will affect the local heavies but VopSop too is deposed by AttriubuteVop :)

Edited by tar

My apologies. I broke that. Will be fixing in the next few days. 

Great, thanks halfdan.

One other thing - is it just me or is the node-locked display now just a visual indicator, not an actual button? I have to right click to and lock from the context menu now.

One other thing - is it just me or is the node-locked display now just a visual indicator, not an actual button? I have to right click to and lock from the context menu now.

Exactly correct. Single click Lock does still work in Rop/Out context

Guest mantragora

2. GR_UtilsGL3.h is also killed? What I should use instead?

3. What to do with this?

C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.13/toolkit/include\DM/DM_VPortAgent.h(153) : error C2061: syntax error : identifier 'GR_PickRecord'
C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.13/toolkit/include\DM/DM_VPortAgent.h(159) : error C2061: syntax error : identifier 'GR_PickRecord'
C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.13/toolkit/include\DM/DM_VPortAgent.h(169) : error C2065: 'GR_PickRecord' : undeclared identifier
C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.13/toolkit/include\DM/DM_VPortAgent.h(169) : error C2923: 'UT_Array' : 'GR_PickRecord' is not a valid template type argument for parameter 'T'
C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.13/toolkit/include\DM/DM_VPortAgent.h(177) : error C2061: syntax error : identifier 'GR_PickRecord'
C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.13/toolkit/include\DM/DM_VPortAgent.h(186) : error C2065: 'GR_PickRecord' : undeclared identifier
C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.13/toolkit/include\DM/DM_VPortAgent.h(186) : error C2923: 'UT_Array' : 'GR_PickRecord' is not a valid template type argument for parameter 'T'
C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.13/toolkit/include\DM/DM_VPortAgent.h(203) : error C2065: 'GR_PickRecord' : undeclared identifier
C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.13/toolkit/include\DM/DM_VPortAgent.h(203) : error C2923: 'UT_Array' : 'GR_PickRecord' is not a valid template type argument for parameter 'T'
C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.13/toolkit/include\DM/DM_VPortAgent.h(210) : error C2061: syntax error : identifier 'GR_PickRecord'
C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.13/toolkit/include\DM/DM_VPortAgent.h(508) : error C2061: syntax error : identifier 'GR_PickRecord'
C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.13/toolkit/include\DM/DM_VPortAgent.h(516) : error C2065: 'GR_PickRecord' : undeclared identifier
C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.13/toolkit/include\DM/DM_VPortAgent.h(516) : error C2923: 'UT_Array' : 'GR_PickRecord' is not a valid template type argument for parameter 'T'
C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.13/toolkit/include\DM/DM_VPortAgent.h(525) : error C2065: 'GR_PickRecord' : undeclared identifier
C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.13/toolkit/include\DM/DM_VPortAgent.h(525) : error C2923: 'UT_Array' : 'GR_PickRecord' is not a valid template type argument for parameter 'T'
C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.13/toolkit/include\DM/DM_VPortAgent.h(532) : error C2065: 'GR_PickRecord' : undeclared identifier
C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.13/toolkit/include\DM/DM_VPortAgent.h(532) : error C2923: 'UT_Array' : 'GR_PickRecord' is not a valid template type argument for parameter 'T'

2. I think that right now it was replaced by GR_Utils.h completely.

3. DM_VportAgent.h should be included after (read: not before) DM_RenderTable.h, to solve this. Also, there is no GR_RenderTable anymore, so when registering hooks make sure that you changed also argument passed to newRenderHook() from GR_RenderTable to DM_RenderTable, and of course include correct file.

EDIT:

Additionally, for GR primitives, we need to override two pure virtual methods, renderPick() and renderInstances(), to make it work again. Otherwise your GUI hooks will fail to compile.

EDIT2:

And after fixing all of this I can finally sing again:

Edited by mantragora