SideFX releases Houdini 14

robert.magee

So, does this kind if change not get documented anywhere?

Wednesday, October 8, 2014 
Houdini 14.0.116: $HIPNAME no longer includes the .hip extension. This makes it cleaner to compose new filenames based on the scene name, since it's no longer needed to always append the magical ':r' modifier.

I knew it was the monocles and brandy!!!!

In all seriousness though whilst I love most of the new features after a week of use in production there are a couple of things which just seem a bit... off. This list is going to sound overly negative because i'm just listing the issues... but really for the most part it's been a great release.

Listy McList away!

1: Locking nodes. OK this one is just plain weird, why remove a perfectly usable single click process and replace it with right click - scan through long menu - left click - find popup window - click OK because there's no longer a "don't show this again" message? UX improvements mean less menus and clicks. LESS. Can we revert to the original way somehow? Is there an option?

2: Getting attributes to display in the viewport. Now it doesn't help that for the me help file page on the new viewport visualisers gets me a 404 error but seriously... how do you setup viewport attributes now? That ui is stuffed full of seemingly irrelevant options that bare no resemblance to what i'm trying to achieve. I tried sacrificing a few producers under the light of the waning moon but it didn't seem to help. Perhaps executive producers? Either way this has also become more complicated and bloated for some reason.

3: 0 to select connected faces. .... is this really gone? Have I missed something super obvious? Doesn't seem to appear in the menu when I right click on the selection buttons, this has cost me a lot of time this week.

4: Selecting points behind other points. So i'm assuming I can still do this... somehow... but the default behaviour now appears to be don't select points that aren't in the FG. Pick visible geometry only? Select front facing and back facing? Don't seem to be doing a whole lot. Overall the viewport selection seems to have become significantly more buggy. I'm assuming it'll be tightened over the coming weeks but it's been a pretty frustrating week because of this to put it mildly. I'd say 7 or 8 times out of ten i'd like to select the BG points as well, like if you're a side view of a box and you select the corner you'd want to select the point on the other corner as well, seems odd to change the default.

5: Viewport selection in general. Sorry just thought this needed it's own number. It's kind of a biggy.

6: Add point to group vop. Where is? Set attribute - point group does the job but I guess if you're trying to make it a bit easier on the newcomers this was an interesting choice. Understandable in the end to consolidate nodes (like the wrangle nodes), but interesting. 

7: Objects still getting "stuck" in the viewport. Was kinda hoping this would've been fixed by now, it's happened at both companies i've been at in the last year or so, put in a bug report a long time ago. 

8: Expression tips while you're writing them. Where have they gone? 

9: Please vacate my lawn.

Now in all fairness for half the week I wasn't using the latest prod build (that's why "auto finishing paths to other objects" isn't on the list, it got fixed, although they seem to like appearing out of screen bounds where I can't see or get to them. For lolz I assume.) so take all these points as you will, and feel free to say "you do it this way you drunk" if I really have just missed something simple\obvious.

There's always going to be some teething problems with a new release so completely understandable but these are the things that have been really bugging me this week when trying to get work done.

Cheers.

Edited by dayvbrown

Ah bugger, figured they must have fixed it over that time. Now that I think about it hasn't popped up since switching to the prod release, or at least nowhere near as often, so fingers crossed.

The "select connected geometry" one is doing my head in though, so it looks like it's now become Select Whole Geometry which ignores 3d connectivity (so if you've got two objects plugged into a merge it selects both) and there is no hotkey for it. Hitting 9 brings up the new (I think..) select groups or connected geometry window thing which looks as if it might do what i'm after but the option I want is buried under yet another gear dropdown... again it seems like it's become bloated rather than streamlined. 

Or maybe i'm just cranky after a bunch of less-productive-than-i'd-like days. 

Let's see if Monday and fresh eyes bring more sanity.

Edited by dayvbrown

Actually, number 2, attributes display, has been much improved and it has been very nicely resolved IMHO.Just right click the visualizer icon and add a new Scene visualizer with the "+" option. You can even assign a new toolbar button to a given attribute for quick access.

3: 0 to select connected faces. .... is this really gone? Have I missed something super obvious? Doesn't seem to appear in the menu when I right click on the selection buttons, this has cost me a lot of time this week.

Took me a while to find this one but the N key seems to do the job now

Took me a while to find this one but the N key seems to do the job now

At the bottom of the RMB menu on the component selection button there should be several entries, including "Select 3D Connected Geometry". Those same entries show up in the "Select" menu above the viewport. And they have (somewhat unpleasant) hotkeys assigned, Ctrl-Shift-1, Ctrl-Shift-2, etc. Those menu entries actually just run python scripts from the file $HH/SelectCustomMenu so you can create your own set of favorite selection setups (if the defaults don't do it for you).

Things were rearranged this way because connected geometry selection is now just a subset of what the new group list gadget does. So to select connected geometry you have to turn on that gadget, and configure it to show connected geometry. We wanted to keep that accessible through a single hotkey/menu, thus the scripted menu items.

Hope that helps,

Mark

• Like 1

1: Locking nodes. OK this one is just plain weird, why remove a perfectly usable single click process and replace it with right click - scan through long menu - left click - find popup window - click OK because there's no longer a "don't show this again" message? UX improvements mean less menus and clicks. LESS. Can we revert to the original way somehow? Is there an option?

5: Viewport selection in general. Sorry just thought this needed it's own number. It's kind of a biggy.

7: Objects still getting "stuck" in the viewport. Was kinda hoping this would've been fixed by now, it's happened at both companies i've been at in the last year or so, put in a bug report a long time ago. 

8: Expression tips while you're writing them. Where have they gone? 

1. Because it was very easy to lock nodes, leaving you to unlock, resulting in an unnecessary cook. Great fun with heavy SOP chains. So, in the name of usability, as a way of lessening frustration, we disabled the functionality of the toggle on the tile. We're working on a better solution.

5. Details?

7. Bug reports with repros are always welcome. They do get fixed if we know how to make it happen. Our telepathy is poor. 

8. I broke that. Fix is imminent.

• Like 1

4: Selecting points behind other points.

Area selection of visible components is on by default in H14 (it was off in H13). Shift+V toggles visible vs. frustum selection, and it's also one of the icons in the top toolbar. I was on the fence about this change, seeing both pros and cons to having it default to "on".

Since selection is pretty solid this release (OSX issues aside), I'm not sure what you're referring to. Bugs? Workflow?

Thanks everyone for your replies, particularly the select connected replies.

So I guess no 5 was just a conglomeration of connected faces, selection of visible components, and the attributes. It was an extremely frustrating week because of these things, and whilst I knew there'd be a hit when jumping to a new version the changes just seemed to be a bit arbitrary. Didn't help that, as I said, my help file browser wasn't giving me all the pages I needed; particularly viewport visualisers, i'm sure there's easy solutions but I couldn't find them under "get shot to client now" pressure.

So I guess just more workflow rather than bugs? The viewport sticking one is a bug and I have reported it, over a year ago from memory, so telepathy shouldn't be required. I always just assumed it was put on low priority for whatever reason but having now seen it at another company if it pops up again in the prod release i'll send in another bug report.

The node lock one, unfortunately I can't agree with you there, that has been more frustrating than any accidental unlocks. And having the option to leave the "Are you sure you want to unlock" dialogue box has worked perfectly for years. I can see where you're coming from but really request you return the old functionality, even just as a user preference.

As I said at the start of my first post the list was going to sound overly negative because I was just listing the issues i'd had, not mentioning all the cool stuff that's been added. There's a huge amount to like in the new release and as always getting a new version of houdini is super exciting, and the work sidefx does is always leaps and bounds ahead of any other company in the cg space.

Cheers.

Guest mantragora

1. Is there Shift+R shortcut somewhere, or was it pushed out?

2. Is there a way to select hole in geometry (like on picture below) in easy way, like in H13 by selecting one edge and pressing L? Selecting loops with A doesn't give the same result.

post-7494-0-91656400-1422737317_thumb.jp

Since selection is pretty solid this release (OSX issues aside), I'm not sure what you're referring to. Bugs? Workflow?

You know what... selections are broken in H14 to the point of being unusable. Tool that works without problems in H13 fails so badly when I select more than couple edges that it just doesn't make sense to use it anymore. I will record movie to show you problem.

Edited by mantragora

The node lock one, unfortunately I can't agree with you there, that has been more frustrating than any accidental unlocks. And having the option to leave the "Are you sure you want to unlock" dialogue box has worked perfectly for years. I can see where you're coming from but really request you return the old functionality, even just as a user preference.

Another thing to consider why this change was seen as A Good Thing during beta was that many companies aim to reduce the amount of locked geometry in hip files -- really due to hundreds of 30gb hipfiles hanging around, and often without the artist remembering that they locked some node. Utlimately we would probably want to intercept the lock event and rather write that geometry out our asset system or something like that. And yes, we've considered asking for an environment variable HOUDINI_FORBID_GEOMETRY_LOCK, but realize it is a little too evil ;)

• Like 1

HOUDINI_FORBID_GEOMETRY_LOCK, but realize it is a little too evil ;)

:) Just evil enough!!

Yeah that doesn't sound fun though, I had assumed that this was added because some people must have asked for it, but 30GB files?? Now that REALLY doesn't sound fun!

I guess i've always dealt with this how you said, caching out anything even remotely as heavy as that, using timeshifts for light stuff, and node locking for in betweens and special cases.

Obviously can't please everyone but I still vote for pleasing me! Or at the very least for giving me the option to please myself.

oh there was another one,

L for selecting edge loops? No?

edit\addition: 

OK!!! 

So some of the major issues i was having with selection last week resolved...

ctrl+shift to add to selection is now swapped around with shift to replace selection for... some reason. Fair enough, shift is less keys for something you'll be doing more often. Just have to retrain years worth of muscle memory.

Edited by dayvbrown