Houdini 15 Wishlist

LaidlawFX

I would like to see auto-rigging in Houdini evolves into something like ILM block party.(both hardsurface and organic)

http://www.mikejutan.com/work/publications/index_files/BlockParty2_Siggraph2013.pdf

This seems like something right inbetween the older "Biped Auto Rig" and the "Simple Biped" nodes, right?  It just has a slightly different presentation of moving parts, and uses fancy node icons and multiple-output node types to represent it.

1. Save multi snapping state

2. Controlling multi snapping state from HOM

3. Multi component selection

4. Getting geometry (not world) position with viewport coordinates

5. Get pre-selection highligted comp from python

6. Slide points (edges) node\tool

7. Bridge tool

8. Inserting edge loops with flow (with smooth interpolation)

9. Getting main-widget and viewport as QtGui.QWidget with HOM

10. Optionally hide invisible (backface) components from snapping

11. Soft preview in Edit SOP like in SoftTransform\SoftPreak SOP

12. Remove rotate from indirect manipulation with MMB in multi-type (move, rotate, scale) transform nodes

13. Tweak tool :mellow:

Edited by Alexey Vanzhula
  • Like 1

i'd like to see system-wide event support that could be tapped into via python.  most explicitly, i'd like to be able to call python code when i save a file, but more generally, being able to react to system events could open up some nice functionality for pipeline integration and general ui happiness.

i think pbr has gotten to the point where it's generally better than non-pbr.  where it tends to fail is more in lack of feature support rather than anything.  features like fog shading, for example.  fog shaders don't affect F they only affect Cf and Of, so they do nothing for pbr secondary rays. 

Houdini have a good HOM node event system.

So, we must have global event system, like scriptJobs in Maya.

With events enums like this:

1. SelectionChanged

2. Save\Open Scene and etc...

3. SnapPositionActivated. When you move mouse to snapped position (before move geo to it)

4. StateChanged

5. SelectionStateChanged. When selection state options (and change components type also) changed.

6. UndoPreformed

7. RedoPerformed

8. HighlightedChanged. When prehighlighted component (under cursor) changed

9. And others

Personally I dont like AD innovations in Maya, but I like Alias|Wavefront Maya scriptJob feature.

PS:

I must be crazy, but it's very simple to implement this also in 14.0.* with Qt  :blink:  .

For example you (guys from dev team) can emit Qt signal when this trivial simple events occurs.

In my (user) scripts I can simply connect this signals with callbacks.

IMO it is very simple and modern :D

Edited by Alexey Vanzhula

i'd really like the ability to add menu items via python code instead of the weird ui file things.  or even disable/remove items.  like perhaps our pipeline doesn't want people saving hip files just anywhere and we have a mechanism to save files in a particular location based env vars or whatever.  that'd be awesome functionality to help integrate more seemlessly into houdini.  maybe it can be done now with some arcane houdini ui script black magic, but a python interface would be much nicer.

i might look at nuke as an example of a system that provides ui maleability and loads of events to hook into.  not sure it's necessarily the best implementation, but it's got it's good points.

Ability to bake render to UV Texture in PBR Mode with high end quality

http://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/VRAY3MAYA/Texture+Baking

GLSL shader  translator to Mantra.

http://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/VRAY3MAYA/VRayMtlGLSL

VR projection (oculus / cardboard) in Camera "Projection Type"

https://support.solidangle.com/display/mayatut/Creating+an+Oculus+Rift+Camera+Node

Edited by sebkaine
  • Like 1

Which part? It's already almost all sparse Afaik.

Well, of course it's possible to use vdb fields as sources now, but that's not what I meant. It still converts vdb to native volumes and makes all operations on it. I meant vdb support for all common microsolvers like advection and projecting.

Where do you see the speed advantages of vdb?   vdb is a sparse container and has advantages for where there is no data. A smoke solve fills it's boundaries with information. The main thing that Vdb doesn't have is varying voxel size - that would be quite cool to have!