Houdini to 3dsmax - Particles

blankvisual

Hi Everyone,

I am doing sand like particles in Houdini and need to render it in 3ds max using v-ray.

Can anybody give me some hints as to how I should go about bringing thousands of particles into 3ds max effectively? At the moment I am thinking of exporting to .abc (using alembic crate exporter) and then applying spheres to my points using frost. Would that be the way you do it?

Or maybe I should output .bin from houdini. Could someone link me with a stable version of this rop? Should I use the realflow one? 

Is there any way to "cheat" and increase density in max? sort of like how you would use partitions with a slight offset when dealing with krakatoa. Just trying to think of the right way to get this many particles to go smooth on my machine.

I saw this example online and its similar to what I am doing and rendered in 3ds max.

Thanks a lot

Fred

Edited by blankvisual

Ahmed what version of houdini are you on? Could it be that this was not compiled for 13 419? i also tried on  416.

I make new scene, create a geometry node on OBJ level

then I dive inside and create a rop output driver and search for  prt rop driver using TAB key but cannot find anything there.

not sure what I am doing wrong..

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Frederico,

I know you already got an answer but another way I used to do is this:

You could export alembic sequence (which is lighter than a single file) and read it with vray proxy and render it with vray 3.0 which in my opinion is even better thank krakatoa now.

:)

Hey Man , 

yeah abc file is great also but in the way of exporting your data as .prt is to let 3dmax import them in Krakatoa loader so you can mesh them in frost or use them in Krakatoa render.

but abc you can not mesh with it.

• 1 year later...

Hi Guys..

Disclaimer.. im a complete noob when it comes to Houdini.

That being said.. i have been trying for days to get PRTs out of houdini and into Max.

This thread looks like the most active and current, so im hoping you can help.

I am using H15.0.347

i have no idea what you guys are talking about with regards to v9 and v11 so i cant tell you what ive got there.

i downloaded the PRT dll from here

http://www.flipswitchingmonkey.com/2015/01/prt-export-from-houdini/

i see its for H15.0.244.16 

i put the "PRTRop_Release_Houdini 15.0.244.16.dll" into the dso directory.. loaded houdini and created a fireworks system from the shelf..

then i tried two things.. 

opened the python shell and typed 'import krakatoa'... :

>>> import krakatoa
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<console>", line 1, in <module>
ImportError: No module named krakatoa

i also tried adding a ROP output driver to the popsolver, but i dont see a prt option.

Thanks in advance fro any help.

~ craig

• 2 years later...