Custom VOP_Types

Is it possible to define custom VOP_Types for the custom VOP nodes input and output pins? ... The Octane shading nodes are custom VOP nodes, but currently all of their inputs/outputs are VOP_TYPE_UNDEF so Houdini can't check if a connection is valid, and all the pins are white.

I want to know if I can define custom VOP types to support the Octane pin types, that are not compatible with all the Houdini VOP types defined in the VOP_Type enum (like kernel, environment, imager, projection, etc.) and if it is possible define a color for this custom pins.

Thanks,

-Juanjo

Thanks, yes I also think that the VOPgetLanguageManager is the way to define new VOP Types, but I can't find a sample to know how it works.

Anyway I think that finally I am going to use the available VOP Types for the Octane VOP nodes. Inside the Octane VOPNET node only the Octane nodes are available, so I don't think that use the Houdini VOP types can be a problem ... all works fine so far.

-Juanjo

post-12128-0-99178300-1421923417_thumb.j

Nice work so far :) Looking forward to trying this out.

Is there a possibility to change the connector colors for your custom VOPNET?

As a long time Houdini user my brain recognizes the data types by connector color automatically and it's confusing to adjust to something different. Renderman Shading Networks have different connector colors for example and I guess Mental Ray too.

If that's not possible you could try to match the datatypes as close as possible even if the underlying data might be different. I would expect a purple matrix input for a transform for example or a light green vector input for opacity. That would ease the learning curve quite a bit.

-dennis

Edited by dennis.albus

I can't change the colors of the available VOP Types (as far I know ... with the really complex Houdini HDK who knows ;) ) ... but I can use any VOP Type for the Octane node pins, so I could try to match the Houdini colors as near as possible.

-Juanjo