Creative Coding Libraries.

sebkaine

Hi Guys,

I would be curious to get your pov about creative coding libraries :

- are they useful and can they complement a 3D package like H ?

- is there things that they do better than a package as rich as H ?

- what would be your choice if you had to pick one ?

I find the following interesting :

http://polycode.org/

https://processing.org/

http://libcinder.org/

http://vvvv.org/

http://www.openframeworks.cc/

I think i will stop my choice on OpenFrameworks to start experiment  because it looks to be

- C++ / OpenGL

- Multiplatform ( XP / Mac / Linux / iOs / Android )

- very well documented

- has a big community

- easy to start with

Have you use it , does it sound like a wise choice to you ?

Thanks for your lights ! :)

Cheers

E

Guest mantragora

You can create standalone applications with them. Can you do that with Houdini?

With Processing you can output to Android, so you have touch input etc. Many cool libraries exists for it. Follow shiffman on vimeo. He got whole free course for Processing. There is also Lynda course for it.

Interactive data visualizations are the prime example of their usage. Another one is big screen visualizations. I think that Mill or some other company used Processing for some project to create interactie UI. I don't remember the link.

Looking at your last topic and now this, it looks that you are really interested in generative art? I'm sitting in Processing. Not that I'm some expert in it, but I'm slowly diving into it. 

I'm really interested in knowing can someone make a living by doing this.

EDIT: The reason why I become interested in it is because I wanted to know how people are making interactive CV :)

Edited by mantragora

You can create standalone applications with them. Can you do that with Houdini?

Good point, you can build interactive app and share them.

With Processing you can output to Android, so you have touch input etc. Many cool libraries exists for it. Follow shiffman on vimeo. He got whole free course for Processing. There is also Lynda course for it.

Thanks, that looks very interesting

Interactive data visualizations are the prime example of their usage. Another one is big screen visualizations. I think that Mill or some other company used Processing for some project to create interactie UI. I don't remember the link.

Well i investigate this field because of this, some impressive Artist looks to develop external tools with OpenFrameworks , for exemple JTNimoy / Gmunk on tron Legacy , use a lot of

custom stuff. I find the idea of creating your own tools in a simple way quite interesting.

http://jtnimoy.com/blogs/projects/14881671-tron-legacy

The point is that i am not sure that those lib offer you more firepower than H.

What they have done on tron with OpenFrameworks can imo be replicated in H quite easily.

I can't imagine a thing that you can't do in H to be honest except Modeling a character ... :)

So i would be interested to get some pov of people using H and also a creative Frameworks, to explain me what creative possibilities they offer.

Also the fact that they work real time with OpenGL is very attractive.

Looking at your last topic and now this, it looks that you are really interested in generative art? I'm sitting in Processing. Not that I'm some expert in it, but I'm slowly diving into it.

I'm really interested in knowing can someone make a living by doing this.

To make money with such stuff i would see 4 options

1- works for highend commercial companies who loves those kind of abstract stuff like The Mill / Psyop / Buck / Sehsucht / and many more who hire some creative coders.

2- work in 3D print companies that need to build/sell content

3- startup / high tech companies loves what they call creative technologist a hype term for guys that try to create with code

4- be an artist of Contemporary art like Matt Pyke , so basically you are a very good buisness man with good vision and you hire artist to do the work you

If you want the money / the girls / the glory => 4 would be the best pick i guess ... :)

Cheers

E

Edited by sebkaine

Guest mantragora

Interactivity and possibility to output as standalone is the key here, I think. Otherwise it's better to do it in H.

I need only money and girls. Doesn't have to be in this order :)

They are all fine. Personally I like OF and Cinder. For my own projects I write everything from scratch and plug and chuck libaries as needed. Also depending on the type of work you want to do you may also consider a light weight game engine.

Thanks for your feedback guys !

@Arthur 

Touchdesigner looks pretty cool, but it's a windows only tool and it's not free so not an option for me.

I am playing with UE4 also, but if you want to go deeper than building a map, sooner or later you have to dive in the API.

I have access to UE4 source with the subscription and it's not for a C++ Tourist like me ... very very intense use of multiple inheritance / polymorphism

@Christoph

I'm glad to learn that a guy with such a kickass portfolio like you love OF !

In fact i have play with it and i find that it is a very very cool project

- 100% free / Open source

- Human readable C++

- lot of features

- fantastic community

For real-time stuff i find that OpenFramework and Three.js offer a nice trade-off beetween

- light / clean documented code

- lot of exemple

- simple to use

- rich / advanced features

I would be interested to get a deeper feedback on OF if it's not asking too much ?

what kind of work repartition do you have beetween a Houdini Task / and an OF task

Thanks again for your inputs !

Edited by sebkaine

• 1 year later...