[SOLVED (sort of)] Threshold issue when converting to SDF

iamyog

Hi

I'd like to reshape a volume in a volumeVOP by using SDF informations.

While it works properly on a static volume, I'm facing a problem with something evolving through time : please have a look at the attached file, my input is a simple smoke sim.

I can't find a way to compute the SDF information right inside the smoke solver (the only gas microsolver are for Geometry or particles) so I tried to convert the "DOP imported" sim.
Problem is that either via VDB or standard volumes, I obviously need to specify an IsoValue that define what's inside or outside. I suspect this threshold to be the cause of some flickering when I convert that back to normal fog.

Just flipbook a few frames on my example file, you'll quickly understand what I mean : the low density edges are flickering. It is indeed visible afterwards in my reshaping and at render time. I know I can reshape by using the density only but I'd like to use the SDF.

Is there any way to prevent this behaviour ? or maybe there's a simple way to output SDF values from the solver itself.

Thanks

smoke_to_sdf.hip

Edited by iamyog