Houdini -> V-Ray

or to complete the question...where would you pick it over Arnold which seems to be "killing" VRay in many studios

Isn't Vray used a lot in architectural rendering? And i know Houdini is being used more in that area.

3rd party development is always good news, but as you say they would have to do a lot to shift Mantra users let alone Arnold. It will be interesting to see how it develops. 

This would be amazing news for us guys who have plenty of 3ds max + Vray experience and want to make the move over to Houdini. Nothing against Mantra at all I've been finding it great to use as I've been learning, but being able to jump right in with a familiar renderer would make the learning curve a little more gentle.

It's DDs primary renderer for all things not FX, after yielding a much better experience than Arnold.

You probably know about this more than I do, Jason, but what I´ve heard is that the main reason for DD to implement V-ray had more to do with a technology and development exchange with Chaos Group (having their devs sometimes directly working at DD) than any other factor.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Competition is always healthy for users. I would still choose Mantra but I wouldn't want vray to wither and die, or Arnold or Octane for that matter.

Im mostly intrested because it would be an easy way at the moment to get a lot of people out of maya and into houdini instead.

Personally I prefer mantra as well.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...