Packed Prims and UVs

tfreitag

hi everyone, I making a fishccrowd with copy- sopsetup with packed prims. Every fish have an uv-attribute. But after setting "packed before copying", I loosing all my attributes.

How can get back my UV. Since every fish is stored in a single point, I cant transfer it back.

I will write out the hole crowd in alambic file (alembic ropout).

Any solution out ther?

Thanks.

hey big thanks everyone for help. I think i missunderstood the concept of packed prim. Its not stored in its "packed" point but inside.

So everything works fine.

But now I have  other big trouble with packed prim -> alembic -> to 3dsmax/vray.... (20.000 birds with 3.500 faces per birds, one bird

so its my first job with houdini. Until now it was fun...but now its the hell to get everthing out to 3dmax.

https://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&p=172361#172361

happy about every tips with packed prims/alembic

Hey Tom - not sure for 3DsMax but previously for .abc files exporting them out of Maya in Ogawa format made things fly, in comparison to exporting from Houdini.

Do you have a file we can test this with?

hey marty :)

yes I tried some minutes ago the ogawa type. but If I loading in houdini it looks totally damaged -> some point artefacts popping out. but also default type some fishes are jumping/jittering. I attached scenefile (with baked out pointcloud and fish seq) and I also attached one kind of buggy swarm.abc for testing.  The only thing whats nice about alembic (if "use instance where possible" checked in alamebic sop) in in conjunction with packed prim (copy sop) it became VERY small :) ...

but loading in (in 3dsmax and houdini) it becomes a hell  :(

thanks for any tips for getting. i getting a little nervous becuase I have to get it to render on the client farm tomorrow) oh-my-god

this is my alembic test file:

https://db.tt/V6qpZlY0

here is my hipfile:

https://db.tt/tYHb06dB

thanks in advanced. tom

Unfortunately no luck yet with quick testing export Owaga out of Maya - will have to remember the 'weird trick' that was used. 

When it worked playback goes from 1fps to 30fps etc. IIRC it's to do with the way timestamps are written into alembic file. The slower version has each frame written whilst the fast one has a kind of compression.  

Will test more if I have the time. Can you please try H13 too - as it handled .abc files a tad differently.

woow...thanks for quick response and help.

in h13 is the same. if move the timebar with hold mouse and left and right it seems ok. but if frame by frame, its jumping like hell...

edit: i also try to check off in alembic rop the "use visibility" ... no dissapperaing, but  jittering is still there

Edited by tfreitag

Using abcinfo shows the TimeSamples 'issue' I believe; see below: http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini14.0/ref/utils/abcinfo

abcinfo -t /fishpack_1_baracuda.abc 

(Ogawa), version: 10502 (2 timings)

TimeSample[0]      1 samples:  t0=0 (frame 0.0 @ 24fps)

TimeSample[1]    751 samples:  t0=3.33333 (frame 80.0 @ 24fps)

Edited by tar

thanks marty.

i have an offset of 100 frames (in alembic rop out). so th seq goes from 100-850 at 30fps. (also this setting in hipfile i sent)

Yes a friend tried in modo, and there is same jittering. Maybe a point order or some timesample issue.

Is this bug ? ..or something that result in wrong setup?

I don't think it's a bug, but the goal, I believe,is to get those time samples down to much less - I'm super busy but some tests are needed! 

Try writing out very simple animating geo and check the time samples - sorry I don't have an exact answer but a bit of RnD might be the only answer!

Edit: Looks like I'm totally wrong :)  MountainSOP on a Box for 25 frames does:

abcinfo -t Box.abc 

(Ogawa), version: 10502 (2 timings)

TimeSample[0]      1 samples:  t0=0 (frame 0.0 @ 24fps)

TimeSample[1]     25 samples:  t0=0.0416667 (frame 1.0 @ 24fps)

Edited by tar

I noticed it's 1 million polys - I'm not sure I've tested .abc to that level. Perhaps this is what happens at 1 million polys.

Edit: got the same slowdown with a test of boxes   looks like the boxes test are fast 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ewn7meggfvswyo6/BoxTest_Archive.zip?dl=0

Edit 2: With some more light testing, substituting a box for the fish - it looks like using 'Pack Geometry Before Copying' in the CopySop makes Alembic slow to read in.

Edited by tar

marty, thanks :D for investing time to help me!! ...after a bad night, I tried totally simple setup...only copysop with animated fishgeoseq (no randomoffset) and the pointcloud....this seems to work...so I guess I have made something very evil in my setup...so maybe my (frame)timecounter stamping into timeshift, for offseting and speed-ups my fishes....but in my old setup have only integer timecounter (integer timeshift for better instanceing).

I will do RnD some more...and I will post it  if I found some results.

..I tried also  FBX/ obj seq and its nogo.. no instanceing....so alembic have 50mb for 300frames and fbx have 2GB(for hole sequence). My birds (30.000) is 5gb as *.abc and as bgeo its 3gb per frame (nearly 1TB compare to 5gb alembic).

In my sitiation alembic is the only way I quess...

Edited by tfreitag

thx for the file. Its much faster now, but I guessed with packed primitiv it uses every frame(29 frames on fishcycle) of fish animtion as an instance.

But with simple timeshift stamping expression the jittering is gone :)

Viewport/render speed issue: I thing the most importer have problem to read the instance hierachrie (alembic instances), i guess.