AAA Production quality character animation in houdini?

Musetatron

it's been a little while since I've done purely rigging/animation in Houdini but I'm surprised that these issues are still around...

(delta mush exists out of the box: forums.odforce.net/topic/20750-delta-mush/ )

but I can see why there are still currently many reasons to stick with Maya...

what I'd recommend is to create a workflow where you can export your anim to Houdini for additional anim and character finaling...it would even be worth the effort to build an identical rig and export the weights etc...

having a real rig in Houdini being driven by your Maya animation - that can then be adjusted - is a pretty powerful workflow.

the geodesic voxel concept looks interesting.

http://www.delasa.net/data/sca2013_voxelization.pdf

http://www.delasa.net/data/sparse_gvb_TVCG_preprint.pdf

it takes me wonder how hard is it to implement it in houdini? does it make sense to make a RFE?

I submitted a RFE, requesting this and combining muscle and region capturing on the same mesh. It would make life a lot easier seeing that we are moving production over to Houdini from Softimage.

I don't think rigging(regions and/or muscles) and capturing has been touched in a very long time by the developers. It is very powerful but needs to be pulled in to the 'now'.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 3/14/2015 at 3:12 AM, Georgie said:

People keep saying that yet I haven't seen a single rigging tutorial. Not even a hip file :(

- there's that for Maya. It's start to finish, a wonderful course that gives you all the basics. And with Houdini you get a bunch of prebuilt assets consisting of tons of nodes grabbing data from each-other. I spent an entire day reading the help file and browsing through the network of a leg rig. As much as I hate saying it, I learnt nothing. I've had more success dissecting the pyro solver than trying to understand how I'm supposed to approach rigging in Houdini ;/

I don't mean to sound disrespectful but in my opinion SideFx would do great if they were to do a basic tutorial on that rather than showing us how to deform tubes or add noise to volumes :(

Doh. I'm just whining. Excuse me.

Exactly!Nothing changed.

Edited by Iskander

On 07/12/2016 at 4:28 AM, michael said:

H16 will start to address the lack of character tools/tutorials in Houdini.

so.... H16 will be ready for AAB titles, and H17 will be AAA titles! ;)